Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Exhausts..........talk to me Goose

1K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  yobyjneb 
G
#1 ·
I'll be looking to upgrade the exhaust system on the GTA in the next few months. Im after something thats not too loud and boomy but gives a good sound when on WOT.

What have you guys got fitted, where from and what's the verdict?

Cheers,

Ben

#3 ·
Speak to Dan (Pud247) about a Wizard system. Lovely exhausts at a reasonable cost. Sound fantastic. There is a small thread on it in the Tuning section.

G
#5 ·
I spoke to Dan when I too wanted a wizard system, but I wanted it to be subtle though. Their system doesn't have a centre box which means it will be loud. I've since gone for a powerflo system and despite some negatives toward this brand it sounds awesome and provided the subtlety that I wanted. I've had many admiring comments from car enthusiasts who like the fact it compliments the busso V6 without an overwhelming manufactured sound from the rear box. Also, I shant have any problems when it comes to MOT time.

#6 ·
Kind of agree with the above about Custom stuff,

I've a Longlife on mine, had it fitted at mates rates for £200, chose the sound, tailpipe, the lot and I've been complemented on it un-countable times! The peformance of the car feels free-er at the top end too with no low down loss of torque.

However it does depend on the fitter, the guy I had was excellent and had been producing custom exhaust for years, some in the Powerflow / Longlife franchise are utter guff, so do your research and you'll be fine.

Anyone who knows me personally knows how much I spend on and Cherish my GTA, however £700 for a backbox seems ludicrous. Yes, yes it may have been designed for the car but is there an extra benefit for blowing £500 notes more!!

G
#12 ·
Any chance you could PM me the details of where you had the exhaust fitted?

JR has a point, the guy who fitted mine did say that alot of franchises across the country have given Powerflo a bad name when it really isn't the product thats at fault. So just to echo JR, do some research first! A14 tyres in bury has been around for years, and the guy who owns the Powerflo franchise there has been fitting longlife for years. The only reason I went for this option was for the life time guarantee and like JR I received mates rates for the system also.
Cheers for the advice. I don't want to scrimp on anything that goes on this car but at the same time I don't want to waste money!

Ben

G
#7 ·
JR has a point, the guy who fitted mine did say that alot of franchises across the country have given Powerflo a bad name when it really isn't the product thats at fault. So just to echo JR, do some research first! A14 tyres in bury has been around for years, and the guy who owns the Powerflo franchise there has been fitting longlife for years. The only reason I went for this option was for the life time guarantee and like JR I received mates rates for the system also.

#13 ·
I read somewhere on here that the NEW range from CSC is meant to be pretty good, a bit quieter than the old stuff, nearer to standard. 156 GTA part no for the backbox is AL 48X083, centre pipe is AL 48X200. (147 is backbox AL 49X083; 49X283 (quad); centre pipe 49X200).

From outside the standard exhaust sounds great but that's just my opinion. My mrs took the car a few days ago and as it went down the street it sounded fantastic, completely standard. Mine will need one soon I think, it's had just about everything else :mad: :lol:

#14 ·
After lots of researching (forums, youtube etc.) I opted for Supersprint. A bit pricier than some other systems, but I reckon it's worth every penny !! Aside from the obvious performance gains, I just think it sounds much more refined than other exhausts I've heard (e.g. Ragazzon, or the Wizard mentioned in this thread)

Personally I don't see the point of fitting an exhaust to a GTA that just makes it sounds like some boy-racer in his over-modded Citreon Saxo :lol:

The Supersprint gives the GTA a meatier (and slightly louder) note at idle, a throatier take off, but really comes into it's own when you're giving it the full beans. It doesn't overpower that sweet V6 engine, but compliments it beautifully - I still hear the engine singing through the rev range but now the exhaust is singing in perfect harmony. Plus, I drive a selespeed and now the auto blip on the downshift sounds even more spectactular !!

At the end of the day it's all down to personal taste, but if you're looking for a quality system that doesn't drown out the engine noise, and isn't unbearably boomy when just tootling around, or droning incessantly doing 70 down the motorway, I recommend Supersprint.

This youtube clip helped make my mind up - a sweet sounding exhaust note that oozes class rather than chav :) Alfa Romeo 156 GTA Sportwagon with Supersprint exhaust - YouTube

Hope that helps.

Ben

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.