Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last few days I have noticed that the exhaust seems to be blowing slightly. It's not much yet, just if you're driving with the windows down in a built up area you can just hear it, but I picked it up straight away being as I spend all my journeys listening out for little noises :rolleyes: (and looking for my little Willy, of course)

Anyway, I'm thinking I can hopefully just get it patched up for the moment, but I guess sooner rather than later would be better to think about where to get a new 'un from.

I'm not bothered about performance gains or making it louder...but at the same time I don't want to lose any performance or noise. Current system is the original one. I'm guessing that aftermarket will come in cheaper than an OE part. I know you guys have used powerflow before, but what are the pitfalls of a custom exhaust, and what are the alternatives. If I went custom route I *might* consider only two boxes...how loud would that be though?

·
Administrator
46,144 Posts
If the 155 is like the 145 (I think it is) you probably won't have much choice if you go for a custom job - you'll have to get a 2 silencer system. The middle silencer is a weird shape, and no-one will replicate it.
As long as you go to a decent place though, they should be able to ensure it isn't too loud for your tastes.
On the other hand, I'm sure Bobdabilda recently posted a link to a site which did the original parts at a very good price. Can't remember where he posted it though :confused:

·
Registered
377 Posts
I've ditched two of the three silencers on the V6 by way of a Sebring "sound-pipe" (basically a straight through section from cat to back box) and I've got a custom back-box with a 4" oval trim and believe it or not it's not particularly loud. I wouldn't have gone for the straight through middle section had I not needed a cheap-fix for the eternally broken V6 - it was only £50 inc postage etc..... anyway point of all that was No, it won't be too noisy if you ditch one silencer !

As for these custom places - I've heard plenty of people slate them for crappy kit but have absolutely no problems with mine...!

DJ

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My replacement exhaust came from Buypartsby and it was made by Timax. No problems fitting it.

Rob.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My Powerflow is a 2 box system. If you want 3 boxes they can do that too. Not sure what Bazza means :confused:
On the Silverstone the zorst wasn't too loud, but I asked for a system to be of OE noise level. I now have this same zorst on the V6, and it is sooooo quiet. I think the V6 is a quieter engine than the 4 pots.
I don't think you'll notice much difference between zorsts power wise unless you get something stupid with a massive bore, in which case it'll be noisy and all top end. I found this out with a "universal" Rage rear silencer I had. The OE zorst was actually much better.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a single silencer powerflow (fitted 3 months ago), haven't run into any pitfalls yet.
It's noticably louder than standard so would recommend at least 2 silencers. I also agree with Marlon, keep the bore as close to standard as poss.

I think what Bazza is trying to say is that he's experienced problems with places not stocking the centre silencer. Or summit like that. He's a complicated bear you know.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
G/f has comehome tonight sayng there's a funny knocking noise on the twinny, turns out the zorst has gone on the weld to the backbox...ah well *puts welding helmet on* :rolleyes:

wrinx

·
Administrator
46,144 Posts
What Bazza is trying to say, is that the 2nd silencer is a weird triangular shape. While powerflow franchises bend the piping to whatever shape is required, they only have a certain stock of pre-made silencers, and none of the 'weird triangular' shape.
So they'll do you a 2 silencer system.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
But they will put a small box in the corner to replace the triangular one if you want. I was offered a 2 or 3 box system by Powerflow.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers fellas. Just had look on buypartsby and it works out pretty expensive for the entire system...but then again I might not need the whole lot anyway I suppose. Powerflow sounds like a viable option though.

Maybe if I go for some big bore system with no silencers I'll be allowed to join 'my cars really loud, but not actually any good' club that exists in Lichfield...oh, no hang on...my cars is good. Blackballed again...shame :rolleyes: ;)

·
Administrator
46,144 Posts
Ah well, my lot just said they couldn't replicate the middle one, so it would be a 2 box system.
Having looked under there myself, I think it might be a bit fiddly to fit a standard shape silencer in the gap for the middle one, so a) it'd have to be pretty small, and b) I wouldn't be surprised if it was quite prone to rattling against stuff.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My Powerflow fitter had boxes with offset pipes and everything. You know, like the triangle box, comes in at the corner and then comes out the middle sort of thing. Mind you the place I used does a lot of race car preparation etc. so probably have a bigger stock.

·
Administrator
46,144 Posts
That sounds about right. I reckon the place I went to generally concentrates on the Paxo boys :rolleyes:
Having said that, I've been pretty pleased with them. Took it in again last month with a kind of buzzing rattle, they found out it was a heat shield on the cat - so nothing to do with their exhaust, but still fixed it for me for free.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Need to take mine back soon....can't stand the noise, its deafening :rolleyes:

wrinx

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
wrinx said:
Need to take mine back soon....can't stand the noise, its deafening :rolleyes:

wrinx

I`ll swap yer for mine :p :p.................seen as its a bit louder than it was :rolleyes: must be time to get the welder out ;)

·
Registered
170 Posts
My pipe into the back box has completely separated from back box (right round). Worth welding or replacing? The heat (I think?) can cause the piple to detach again in a few months as it reacts/oxidises and the failure ring moves out from the weld.....

Opinions?
James

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
Yes. Welding needs a bit of metal to weld to.. you can't weld rust and the flux is corrosive, so it encourages the metal to rust more quickly than it did before.. it's why exhausts more or less always fail at the welds.

I bought an aftermarket pipe, so I could get a nice back-box (Sebring, as it turned out) but the rest of the pipe is OE. The middle silencer is Bosal and the backbox I replaced was a TiMax. That was over 5 years old by then @ around £100. I would recommend them.

The middle box is more lozenge shaped than triangular. I almost replaced it with a straight pipe but I didn't want it to be too loud. I think I was over-cautious. I discovered that Poweflow etc. can do you a middle silencer but it tends to be tubular, like a regular silencer, and it is short, to fit in the recess. I daresay some places also have lozenge shaped boxes.. if TiMax, Bosal etc. can make them, why can't powerflow?

Ralf S.

·
Registered
233 Posts
http://www.gazzella.
I purchased a complete system from these guys, cheaper, faster than main dealer and its stainless steel! Gazzella Racing Limited!
Cheers

1 - 20 of 24 Posts