Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at my car, there's something kinda missing. There's lovely chrome trim for the grill, lovely chrome handles, then when it comes to the exhaust, an unfinished rusty pipe (well, not really rusting, but you know what I mean!).

Is there an cheap way of fitting a chrome muffler tip, to kinda finish it off nicely? Any I've seen at Chavvy motorfacters places aren't big enough! Has anyone found one?

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Don't Halford sell something suitable? :)

·
Registered
7,179 Posts

This is the Linea alfa one on a stove black painted standard box (its not rusty, just dirty)

You wouldnt know it was a tip as it fits perfecly, its very heavy and well made, but I believe its about £70 from the dealers!

I got mine used.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
£70!!! Cheeers, I'll keep an eye out for one! (second hand!)

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
bigger halfrauds stores sell a wide selection of decent tips, yes some have chav ****** wrote all over them but you can get some quite descreet ones. word of advice tho, anything bigger than 5x3 will not fit the 147 bumper... 5x3 follows the shape of the cutout as if it were made to go there but its not everyones taste. a simple round chrome 2.5 inch pipe always looks smart. if its obvious cos you can see the original tip you could always hacksaw the original one back so only enough remains to allow securing the new tip or have it welded on if you know someone who could do it for ya. even ATS wouldnt charge much for that job!

·
Vendor
46,137 Posts
Beware, I got a nice simple chrome tip from Halford's and its now gone rusty! And I can't get it off as its screwed in and it won't move! Hoping the rust doesn't pass through to my exhaust.. Could you paint it silver instead?

M

·
0 Posts
Go to a place that builds exhausts and buy one of their exits. Cost about £20. Get someone to weld it onto your zorst (if you can't do it yourself) or maybe the zorst place will do it for a few quid.

I did this to a Group N zorst on a 155 as it had the "rusty" round exit as standard. I got a tail peice that looked like the OE chrome letterbox and welded it in place. Got the noise with what looked like an OE zorst ;)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I found a couple of exhaust tips and I'm more than happy!

pic 1 - the standard (I'm sure most of you know this one!)

pics 2 & 3 - a universal 60mm exhaust tip - cost me £5.99! From any good chavvy motorspares shop. I'm actually really pleased with it! it's a little long, I'm sure it could be cut down if I was that bothered!

pics 4 & 5 - I found this one on ebay- about £8 - I like it as it's slash-cut so it suits the standard shape better. Still pokes out a bit further, but it's OK. I like the brushed finish too.

I'm actually not sure which one I prefer? But I'm well impressed with the difference you can make for under a tenner, and ten minute work! (especially on a black car!) Suits the Alfa's chrome handles etc really well.

There you have it folks, £6 transforms the back end quite well!

(Anyone eagle-eyed may have noticed I also painted the backbox with Matt Black 'engine laquer' (heatproof paint) too, for a bit of cleanness)

Attachments

·
Registered
754 Posts
(Anyone eagle-eyed may have noticed I also painted the backbox with Matt Black 'engine laquer' (heatproof paint) too, for a bit of cleanness)
Did you have to give it a bit of a 'clean' Ben? My back box is a little flakey and may need cleaning up before I consider doing anything of this sort to it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was well flakey! TBH I don't know how much life there is in it! But a breif brush and I just wacked loads of paint over it! Quite pleased with it though for a 10 minute job!!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Hi Ben B,

I prefer the slash cut one, little bit more subtle than the other one. They both look pretty cool though.

Might have to get one for my wife's black 147, like you say, it finishes the car off nicely unlike the slightly rusty standard pipe (which I've also painted with black hammerite)!

Andy

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mike- Yeah, I saw them- What the hell is the difference!!!?! It looks like my £6 one cut down a bit in length! What the hell are they thinking for £70-odd quid! That's just bonkers!:eek:

·
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
3,202 Posts
Before buying supersprint back-box, I had this exhaust tip. It wasn’t stainless steel, just aluminium, but it never rusted and cost only 10 EUR. Not bad. 80mm diameter.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, nice. It's all you need. (until the exhaust needs changing and I too may consider an upgrade.)
But something the Bravo tought me was that the drone from an exhaust can do your head in! How loud is your supersprint?

By the way Gotcha- what rear spoiler is that? It's nice and subtle.

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
Before buying supersprint back-box, I had this exhaust tip. It wasn’t stainless steel, just aluminium, but it never rusted and cost only 10 EUR. Not bad. 80mm diameter.

nice 147 gotcha, LOVE that 2nd pic:cool: :cool: :cool:

@ Ben - i prefer the slash-cut one, it suits your car better:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts