Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

Done a few searches on this forum and not found anything... I've just cleaned and polished the car today, and noticed a slight bit of rust on the stainless exhaust tip (only cosmetic but now i've noticed it will annoy me for eternity!). I'm thinking about using some AutoSol to try and clean it up, just wanting to make sure it's safe to use on it and wont ruin the finish?

Thanks
Ballam

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
Hi there

Done a few searches on this forum and not found anything... I've just cleaned and polished the car today, and noticed a slight bit of rust on the stainless exhaust tip (only cosmetic but now i've noticed it will annoy me for eternity!). I'm thinking about using some AutoSol to try and clean it up, just wanting to make sure it's safe to use on it and wont ruin the finish?

Thanks
Ballam
AutoSol is good but I discovered this during last summer :)

Britemax Metal Twins Kit

I think that AutoSol is good but this stuff from Britemax is just on another level :D

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
But you are OCD, BB.:lol:
That is very true :lol:

But the Britemax Twins are good in that you have a 'cutting' agent then a 'polishing' agent so you don't need to always polish up the exhaust tips after every wash :thumbs:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would you use the cutting agent every time? Or just when there was rubbish to get off of it? Then the polish to keep it nice and shiny?

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
Would you use the cutting agent every time? Or just when there was rubbish to get off of it? Then the polish to keep it nice and shiny?
Do one or two passes with the cutting agent, the 2nd time would be to get off whatever you missed the 1st time then yes use the polish to keep it nice and shiny but tbh I have had to use the polish two times since doing the pipes on the GTA as it protects the metal as well :thumbs:

Here's a quick video showing the difference it makes :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4HLJv5l4XQ&feature=player_embedded

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was going to wait until my AutoSol ran out or I had something bigger to polish before buying some of the Britemax, but after spending a bit of time with the AutoSol on it... I still think it could be better!

Before Autosol

After Autosol

(How frustrating... it wont let me display my images in the post. It worked last night in a different thread! :confused:)

Its cleared off the rust which is the main thing, I will get some of the Britemax stuff and hopefully bring it up better still :).

Thanks
B

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Everywhere?? Or just on the bottom lip? I think it needs some serious "scrubbing" to remove the black stuff from the bottom lip, maybe I will use a brillo pad or something for that... wire wool sounds a little scary! Would it not scratch it to death even being used gently?

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
Everywhere?? Or just on the bottom lip? I think it needs some serious "scrubbing" to remove the black stuff from the bottom lip, maybe I will use a brillo pad or something for that... wire wool sounds a little scary! Would it not scratch it to death even being used gently?
Practise on the bottom of the tip for practise so you know how much presure to use and if it scratches or not :thumbs:

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
I thought stainless steel was stainless!:confused:
I thought that but you will get pitting on the shiny bits, you might service rust but that's about it :thumbs:

·
Administrator
87,050 Posts
After Autosol

(How frustrating... it wont let me display my images in the post. It worked last night in a different thread! :confused:)

Looks good :thumbs:

( You can post pics as attachments in all lounge,

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts