Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, lets nail this down ones and for all;

which is the best exhaust system for our beloved 155´s?
We have Supersprint, Ragazzone, Powerflow, plus some home made versions etc etc.

Also, what air filter? BMC, K&N, or other?

Obviosly the chip question is answerd, Squadra, if no one has any objection.

N

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hhhmm, still not convinced by the Squadra. The power gains speak for themselves but running on optimax or super is inconvenient round here. Might as well have a gas conversion! Superchips work well apparantly....ask Henry!

Heard good things about Raggazzoni(sp?) and supersprints are hard (impossible?) to find now.

Air filter, dunno, just got a Ram Air but K&N are supposed to be good.

wrinx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've a K&N kit, standard exhaust and a Squadra chip.

My car puts out over 500bhp wink

Actually it's closer to an estimated 155bhp (in case you thought I was serious) for a 1.8litre 8 valve. The Optimax/Super thing may be a problem in some areas of the UK, but..........if the car is tuned to run on normal unleaded (95 Ron), even with a chip, then I would imagine you won't get the same power gains as a car tuned to run on 98/99 Ron, or am I talking guff ???

Marlon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My opinion is still that the best chip you can get,is one there is "made" for you'r individual engine,that means adjusted on a rolling road.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't actually know if its possible to burn a new E-prom to the standard ECU.There are a lot of different ECU's to 155'ere,but I know that the ones sitting standard in 156's can't be touched.

The sulution could be ex. Uni-chip,or something like the one I'm driving with,which is a so called "100% box" (ie can be adjusted in all directions to anything,without burning a new E-prom).The Uni-chip is an extra box mounted between the engine and the original ECU,and can be adjusted to every induvidial engine's.It's maybe more expensive than a "standard" tuning chip but has seweral advantage's.The engine will be running perfect (if the guy who does the work knows what he is doing !!!),and if the car shall be sold (ex.),the Uni-chip box can be taking out again,and the car will be going just like it used to before.And the U.C. box can then be used in another car.

Here in Denmark it can be done for DKR. 5500,- = GBP 475,- and Euro 740,-.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree with Thomas. Even though the Squadra etc. may give increases, the Dastek Unichip can yield the best results from YOUR engine.
As far as air filters go either K&N or BMC are good enough imho.
Can't say much about exhausts as we don't have any ready made systems in my country available. But a good free flowing system is definitely worth it together with removing the cat.
My 2L has K&N panel and custom made exhaust. I reckon power to be approx. 165 bhp.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I`ve a Jetex Laser exaust on the 155 and a Supersprint on the 156 (both backboxes). Both give a lovely noise (Jetex slightly better) but I`m not convinced of any real power increase. OK so its not a full system but thats not a problem for me as its the sound I wanted anyway and maybe thats the point - if you want more power you will need a full system but if its just the sound you want then a backbox will do (and its cheaper), i.e. dont expect any power benefit from just a shiney new wide bore backbox!
As for air filters, the difference between all of the 'go-faster' air filters must be quite small. If its not the original paper filter then its an improvement and after that it must just be down to build quality and brand loyalty. Personally I`ve been tempted by brands like green cotton because they sound and look good in the box, but who cares about that when they are on the car and you cant see them? K&N have a good reputation for filters, if not the best, so thats what I now use and with no problems at all.
Chips, well I dont have a modded one but it sounds like the individualised chips, programmed on the rolling road would do for people who haven`t got access to the higher octane 'super' unleaded. Tune up the car as best you can on 95RON unleaded and then retune it as super unleaded becomes more available. Thats got to be better than not chipping it at all...
Sorry about the ramble - I`m at work and a little bored wink

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chris

Think you've summed it up nicely!!!

One point though, most manufacturers of back boxes claim increases of between 5-15 bhp after fitting and this is supposed to have been independantly tested by magazines etc.

However, mine has a supersprint and just found out it has a chip (unknown) but is only showing 9bhp increase.........so you may be right :( :(

I'll see at the rolling road session at John Nobles on 6th July wink

wrinx

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I know some power increase was claimed by Jetex (2-3bhp - its hardly warp factor 9 stuff) but the supersprint came clean and said it just sounded better :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all your input.

In my country a rolling road is un heard off, so i can forget that. As far as Squadra or Superchip is concernes, the Squadra is a alot cheaper. The Supersprint costs $495 from Miami, the Squadra around $200.

I got a response from a company called Needforspeed. They claim they have a Induction kit for a 155 2.0 TS..anyone use one of those???

gas here in Panama is 95, one can always buy Octane boosters, but i dont trust them.

About exhaust, i am most likely going with the entire system fom headers all the way back.

Is it wise to have a company build a free flow mid section, and then only buy the back box from a established company (save money on shipping)for the sound factor.???

looking forward to your opinions... and hey, i´d love to have 500bhp.. :)

·
Registered
550 Posts
HI NICHOLAS, HERE IN URUGUAY FUEL IS ALSO 95 AND WHEN I FITTED MY SQUADRA CHIP I BEGAN TO USE OCTANE BOOSTERS AND I CAN TELL YOU THAT IT WORTHS.
YOU WILL FEEL THE DIFFERENCE IN TORQUE AND MOTOR WILL RUN MUCH SMOOTHER THAN EVER.
CHEERS
JORGE wink

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You lucky people, with your 95 RON fuel!! We only get 93 RON here. Welcome to the real third world.

But the octane boosters do work. Used Redex octane booster on a track day last weekend, and got the impression I could pull away from cars that I couln't the previous time. Could also be the tire pressures? I did seem to be stronger though, plus the exhaust burned a nice brownish colour. (MMT deposits.)
Anyway, these increases are very subjective.

Did try my car at sea level once with 97 RON fuel. It Flew!

Regards
Jacques

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nicholas
the K&N 57i kit I have is an induction kit. Lots of people here have them. They basically replace the original air box and air filter with a "cone" filter which is less restrictive than the original setup. You will also be supplied with a cold air feed pipe so you can route cooler air from the front of the car direct to the filter. Cooler air is denser and you get more power etc. etc.........
The power gains can be up to as much as 5bhp !!!

I think the kit Need for Speed stock is the K&N.

By the way, Alfas sound much sportier with these kits.

Marlon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Marlon,

i wrote Needforspeed, and asked them if the K6N ind kit works on mu car, i ahve the 8v not the 16v..and they said no.. :( so, again i am screwed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts