Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title goes: My GTV 2.0 turbo is throwing out stuff from the exhaust.:yikes:
It is 2 meter long braids of fiberglass (itchy at least) hairs, and they only come 1/3 out and has to be pulled the rest of their lengths.
It has happened twice with 50km between them.

I am guessing that it is the silencer that is breaking up and the internal are slowly coming out ....right?

So the questions are:
1) Is it dangerous? Will it make my engine blow up or loose power, or will it just affect the silencers task?
2) Provided that all of the silencers guts eventually will come out, will I then have had a free 'upgrade' to a straight-through Ragazzon/Wizzard pipe with an empty resonator-box?:biglaugh:
3) will it pass MOT regarding noise and/or pollution values, provide the MOT-dude doesn't actually see the stuff coming out?

Thanks in advance for all your much appreciated replys.
regards Henrik

Attachments

·
Registered
37,747 Posts
I had a similar think on my Golf, it is caused by the perforated tube in the silencer rusting through, the gases coming out then carry the packing material out.

I wouldn't say it was harmful to the car, but you might find the exhaust gets louder the more of it comes out. I doubt it would affect power much though as a straight through pipe is already pretty efficient, and unless it gets silly noisy (unlikely) it should still pass the MOT.

I kept getting asked if I had Tina Turners wig stuck up my exhaust.

If I were you though I would start saving up for a new exhaust, because if the perforated pipe has rusted through the silencers probably will rust through as well in the near future.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
When the muffler probably does not flow as it should, it may affect the efficiency of the turbo (hamper power and spool speed), and if the back pressure is too high, your turbo/engine may get heat problems.

As long as emission values are OK, you should not have any problems with MOT unless that the sound of the exhaust is ridiculously loud or that your exhaust system have a leak.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx Symon and AlfaLivorno

...I used my bare hands to pull it out the first time, but I got some itching like after touching Rockwool-isolation material, so the second time I used the disposable gloves and papertowel at the gas-station.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
i know whats wrong........ you ran over a old witch and such her up through your air intake through the engine and nows shes coming out your exhaust :cheese:

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I'd agree it's just a bunch of baffle wool. Probably not a lot to worry about really although you are going to want to think about replacing the exhaust in the not too distant future. Exhausts always rust from the inside out as the cat turns harmful gases pretty much into water which rots them. This is a sign that your exhaust internals are rotten and could start banging about and falling out. You could soon find your exhaust rotting through.

·
Registered
780 Posts
One "quick" solution could be to remove the section with the offending silencer, cut a hole in the TOP, remove all the crap, weld it back up and put it back on the car. From below the inspector won't notice a thing and you will no longer have fibres coming out of your tail pipe

Then again, for that effort, you could just replace it :p

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Let a few moths out of that wallet?:D

Damn right, it's itchy nasty unhealthy stuff that Rockwool glass fibre insulation?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hehe thanks everyone - jokes are highly appreciated :biglaugh:

Yup - new silencer is on the list, big question is now:
Stock replacement for originality and best long-range comfort, or lovely noisy ragazzon/wizard one with risk of raised eyebrows at the MOT office ...?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Mine did this, then stopped. Hasn't done it for three or four months now. Wizard exhaust on the cards though, as original is a tad sedate!

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Very impressed with the fact it was put into a litter bin Nrik, if only we had some dedication toward that sort of attitude here in the UK.:):

PS. Had a great time in Denmark back in the sixties, and have fond memories of it and the people. :thumbs:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You have not seen Kongens Nytorv, Copenhagen an early Sunday morning. :yuck: :)
the waste from teenagers and Swedish tourists :biglaugh:

Very impressed with the fact it was put into a litter bin Nrik, if only we had some dedication toward that sort of attitude here in the UK.:):
You should start a trend.

PS. Had a great time in Denmark back in the sixties, and have fond memories of it and the people. :thumbs:
Well come back, we are still friendly :)

Mine did this, then stopped. Hasn't done it for three or four months now. Wizard exhaust on the cards though, as original is a tad sedate!
Okay, for how long time? (maybe it is empty now)

·
Registered
189 Posts
This happened to me as well. Bought the silencer in the link above.

Here are a video of my previous TB without cat and only the small Ragazzon silencer:

https://youtu.be/t4oGlpICSwg

Good luck! Awesome sound. People took it for a Ferrari!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts