Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks, I'm thinking of replacing my whole system from the manifold branch back and thought I'd get your tips on removal.
Having had a good look and poke from under the car it appears that the nuts look very much rusted to the studs that clamp the first section of down pipes to the manifold branch flanges.
Also the nuts are in a position I cannot get a socket on them due to the shape of the exhaust pipe work, so looks like a spanner only job??
So, any tips on getting these off without sheering the studs?
If that were to happen surely it's a question then of removing the exhaust manifold from the engine block and drill out/re tap, plus, the nuts look just as rusted on here too. If those studs were to sheer off, what then??
What are the best methods you used to remove these nuts with success?
Thanks

·
Registered
368 Posts
Just done the job your looking at and not as bad as it looks.

Wire brush and a good overnight soak of WD40 for all the nuts, if you do get a tight one then use a blow lamp to get it red hot an it should shift.

I did mine on the drive, front wheels on ramps, then jacked up the rear and put wooden blocks under wheels, then jack up on the front subframe pass side (Put an axle stand under for safety), this gives you work room on all the bolts you need to get at.
The lambda sensor is a 21/22 mm spanner and a pig to get out so you may have to fit a new one, but you can disconnect the wiring fairly simply, feeding it back down so it comes out with the exhaust an gives you the chance to get the ring end of the spanner on. the wires are usually fed through the brake pipe clip at the bottom where they come down the bulkhead.

Good luck with it (An wear goggles because you always get stuff dropping into your eyes ;0) )

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dasiygtv, thanks for the tips and the knowledge that you have actually had success in doing this. Gives me some confidence to give it a go ?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts