Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Spider has blown a baffle somewhere in the exhaust, so I am contemplating putting a new system in.

As far as I can see there are three main options:

1, An IMASAF syatem from classic alfa for about £200.
I have used IMASAF before on my 166 and 156 cars and they are pretty good (although the rubber fixings were not).

2, Alfaholics Sports Stainless for over £1000.

Of course the stainless kit is very tempting as we all like shiny stuff...but gulp...the price..ouch!

3, Get a stainless system made up by Powerflow or similar (I wouldn't naturally go for this as the risk of ending up with raspy/boomy gives me the creeps).

Anyway, I will try to keep my sensible head on and go for the IMASAF system. Unless others on here have a better experience, or at least can describe the difference between the Alfaholics and IMASAF or another good alternative?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I had (I thought) a blown exhaust somewhere...got under the car and the only 'blown' thing was the big donut O-ring seal between centre box and the rear box.
3 quid later (well I had to cut off the 3 rusty flange bolts, so a few quid more for those) and a half hours work and I was back on the road.

worth checking exactly where the problem is, before splashing out.

if indeed a box is blown, I'd replace just that for 60 quid or so IMASAF pot (the original equipment CISAM were much better quality but you cannot get them, except maybe NOS somewhere)

.....keep the 1000 quid for something more important:)

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Is one of the boxes rattling? - being a cheapskate I tend to take them off cut them open and weld it back up but otherwise probably just replace it with the standard CA section, its good quality and the last thing you want is a droney exhaust, if you wanted a bit more noise you could fit a stinger in place of the rear box, I've tried it but prefer the standard system, although the wadding is missing from my rear box....

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is one of the boxes rattling? - being a cheapskate I tend to take them off cut them open and weld it back up but otherwise probably just replace it with the standard CA section, its good quality and the last thing you want is a droney exhaust, if you wanted a bit more noise you could fit a stinger in place of the rear box, I've tried it but prefer the standard system, although the wadding is missing from my rear box....
yes, sounds like a tin can in the silencer.
I will probably go IMASAF from Classic Alfa as the existing system has had its day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts