Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
At last i,ve found time to remake my exhaust.
It,s made from 53mm stainless tube.
I,ve done away with the cat and the middle box.
I made a pipe the same size as the cat and inserted the lambda probe in that,come mot time i,ll just replace the cat.
The noise isn,t much louder as it seems to be the back box that silences it.It does have a nice rasp to it now.
The power seems to be up,lowdown torque is stronger and the power comes in stronger at 4500rpm ,but thats only after a few miles in the wet,i,m going to give it a good test today i,ll let you know how it goes.
Cant wait on the chip.
Regards Shug

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Guys
Here,s the latest.
It,s definatly got more power.The lumpiness it had at low revs has almost gone plus the exhaust note is a nice deep rasp.
In 2nd gear in the wet,when it hits 4500revs the wheels spin and a fast change into 3rd keeps them spinning.
A guy i work beside has a 156 2.0 tspark and he challanged me to a duel along a 2 mile stretch of dual carriage way.A rolling start in 2nd gear.The 155 sailed past him and kept pulling away,much to my surprise.
Can,t wait on the chip
Pleased Regards
Shug :D :D :D :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is the middle and back part of your exhaust still the standard factory setup?

How does is rev between 6000 rpm and 7000 rpm? Does the power drop off or does it rev through cleanly all the way?

Kind regards
Jacques

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Jaques
The middle and back box are standard.
The rev limiter comes in at 6500revs,it pulls really well right up to it.I notice more difference in the torque,it pulls a lot stronger all the way through the rev range.
Regards
Shug

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the middle box on my car is gonna get it !!!
Shug, I take it you still have 3 boxes on your car then ??? The exit box and the two which hang about near the rear wheel. I get confused with regards to the "middle" section as my car (and probably yours too) has 3 sections after the Cat. the first is a twin pipe with one box, then it goes to a single pipe with 2 boxes, then finally, the last section with the main box.

Marlon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Marlon
The way my pipe goes is this
From the cat there,s a single pipe to a box,then the pipe bends to a square,ish box then it goes to a big triangular box,the back box.
The box i removed is the square,ish one
Hope this helps.
I,m meant to be going on shifts soon so i,ll have plenty of time to give you a hand if you like.
Regards Shug
PS.The chip arrived today;YEHAA :D :D :D :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Shug

I am a little confused as to the number of pieces in your exhaust. I (for memory) have.. cat - muffler - rear muffler - fresh air.. Is this the same as yours? I am looking to remove my cat. We don't have to replace them here. :D This should help my low end torque. Would like your thoughts..

Thanks

Oliver :cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Oliver
My exhaust goes like this
Cat-small box-square,ish box-triangular box-fresh air.
It,s the square,ish box and the cat i,ve removed
Hope this helps
Regards Shug

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hiya Shug

Glad its been a success, be interesting to see what increase you've achieved. Do you plan a rolling road session at any point?

How about going into business wink

wrinx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Wrinx
There,s a place near me that,s got a rolling road,i,m thinking about going there but the wife,s not letting me spend any more money on the 155.Little does she know that springs are on there way soon.I,ll work something out.
As for going into business i,m too busy at a new job and i don,t have much materials left anyway it,s more of a hobby to me.
Regards
Shug

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You've set me thinking. I'm planning to de-cat mine at some point but nowhere does one for the V6. So I'd have to get one custom made. used to be a metalworker and welder (inc brass,stainless etc)and have got the gear but only one thing concerns me.

On the V6 there are two pipes going into the CAT so I'd have to mitre them at the appropriate angle but it won't be smooth and bent like the origonal, it would obvioulsy have an angle where the mitres meet. Would this make a difference I wonder??

wrinx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i would think a man of your skill could make the mitre long so it comes together gradualy and as long as the end where they meet is no smaller in diameter than the rest of the pipe i cant see a problem.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
why not bring the twin pipes further along under the car then make the mitre where you have more room.?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
use three inch pipe and have twin exit straight through pipes coming out just behind each rear wheel.?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
take off the exhaust altogether bung it in the bin the flames shouldnt burn too much under the bonnet but it might smell a bit.!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
nothing like having a story in parts.........just like a soap!

I'm gonna do it!!! :D

Not sure about moving the pipes too far back, depends on the length of the probe wire, don't wanna join/extend it really and think its probably best to do as near a copy as possible to keep tuned lengths etc.

BTW..........like the idea of twin exits at the sides.....mmm :D and I don't think re-mortgaging my house would cover the cost of a Ferrari exhaust!

Anyone know a decent supplier of stainless and what grade would be best?? Do I replace just the cat or the first silencer as well?

wrinx

1 - 20 of 32 Posts