Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be "teaching grandmother to suck eggs", but I thought it might be useful to someone.

Fitted a new cat-back exhaust yesterday (standard mild steel), and here's what I've learnt.

It can be done by jacking up the NSR (and using a stand and chocks).

Cut the old rubbers off (make sure the new ones are the right type first!) ;)

NSR handbrake cable gets in the way, but can just be unclipped (2 places) rather than removed.

Use exhaust assembly compound otherwise it'll leak :rolleyes:

Loosly assemble exhaust (don't tighten clamps) and move into position. Old bits of formica covered chipboard make moving the exhaust around on the ground an awful lot easier (and quieter).

For me, a vegetable box/crate thing was the right height to support the first silencer, and an A4 paper box on end supported the rear box at the right height. Whilst not exactly perfect, it's a lot better than trying to take the entire weight of the exhaust yourself, or straining the front pipe.

Attach the middle outer rubber first, fit exhaust together, then fit middle inner rubber (attach to body first, otherwise it's impossible).

Remove rear mount from body (single 13mm bolt). Fit to exhaust and reattach to body. Sillicone spray helps to fit mounts. Needed to be removed as prongs were too long to fit rubber in-situ.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
rjf said:
Sillicone spray helps to fit mounts. Needed to be removed as prongs were too long to fit rubber in-situ.
Too true... it's great stuff around there. One word of warning though... don't use silicon (spray, sealant) or any product containing silicon on engine oil surfaces or engine components. I think that the coolant pipes are OK...

Silicon destroys Lambda probes...

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rjf said:
This might be "teaching grandmother to suck eggs", but I thought it might be useful to someone.
I became a bit of an expert at fitting the exhaust on my twinny, took it off so many times to weld it :rolleyes:

You experience is the same as mine except I used an upended house brick to prop the rear of the zorst while I stuck the front pipe in.

One question...why cut off the origonal hangers :confused: I re-used mine many times.

wrinx

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I have a set of ramps which give enough room to get stuck in
usually use a trolly jack to lift and manouver the back box into place

san

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
daiblack said:
I pop down my mates tyre bay and stick it on a ramp :) :) :D :D
Oh, what luxury.. :D

san

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
.....spose this is where I say I can now use the huuuuge pit in me garage for this kind of work :D

wrinx

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
wrinx said:
.....spose this is where I say I can now use the huuuuge pit in me garage for this kind of work :D

wrinx
Oooohhhhh! What Luxury......... :D

san

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I choose from one of 3 ramps :cheese: - sorry, that one was uncalled for but I just had to go one better. :(

Helps if you try to fit the right exhaust also (mutters under breath) "Bloody Elite" :rant:

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
But not just any old garage.....its a huuuge garage to house the huuuuge pit :D

wrinx

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
wrinx said:

wrinx
And you live where, again? :D

We were all thinking of popping round for a cuppa. Don`t mind if we do a few repairs whilst we are there do you? :D :D

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
wrinx said:

wrinx
Now that would be nice except where I live, the water table is only a meter or so below ground level :eek:

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I just get a few of the servants to do it...

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I cut the old mouns off because they were about to fall off by themselves!

Only costs £2 to get a complete set of new mounts, and I didn't fancy doing the job twice.

mmmmmm, pit.

mmmmmm lots, ramp.

I'd settle for sweeping the drive first so I don't keep ketting sharp bits of gravel in the skull!

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Stori said:
Now that would be nice except where I live, the water table is only a meter or so below ground level :eek:
Thats Ok Stori, have a pit and a swimming pool!!! :D :D

san

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its as easy to just unbolt the hangers, there's one at the back of the rear box, and one on the N/S by the the fuel tank. Both are 13mm's. The 3rd mout will just unhook and all your left with then is the 3 (or 2 on earlier cars) bolts on the box after the cat. They're 13's too.

And yer all right. Silicone lube is great for putting the mounts on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts