Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I need a small silencer added to my stainless mid section as currently too loud.

Other than power flow in hove (as shut at weekends) need someone open over a weekend as work mid week.

Any ideas peeps?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A local garage to cut and weld the silencer in place you mean? Good idea.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I am about to do this for my car, because without the CAT it is a bit noisy up hills... However, I am foolish and spent £160 on a proper MIG welding course so I could learn to do it myself :lol:

So far so good, have attached the fruits of my first session... MIG welding is fun. And my eventual goal is also attached... (I sometimes have too much time on my hands)

My problem is: will just adding a straight through silencer remove the boom from the exhaust?? I think not. But we'll see.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
In the past and on other cars.. I've found that straight through silencers are pretty good at getting rid of the higher frequencies.. but not so good at the lower end.. it's all a black art really.. let us know how you get on..

The welding looks good.. bit more difficult on 20 guage.. :) are you going to make your own silencer??

increasing the silencer length helps if you have room for it..

I once made one for a spitfire donkeys ago and it virtually ran the full length of the floorpan.. about four feet long.. and about four inches outside diameter.. making most of the exhaust pipe a straight through silencer..
you can buy the perforated tube and lagging material.. wrap the lagging around the perforated tube and then wrap kitchen 'clingfilm' around the lagging to hold it all in place while you thread it into the outer tube.. then weld the end caps on.. the clingfilm will burn off when it gets hot..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts