Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Trying to clean an exhaust and I'm having real difficulty removing this black stuff that has appeared.

The exhaust is supposed to be stainless steel and has only been on the car about a year and as you can see the tips have gone black.

It almost looks like rust but obviously being stainless steel it shouldn't rust, however I brought some rust remover and tried that and it did absolutely nothing so that solved that, its not rust.

I have also tried WD40 with no joy, stainless steel cleaner with no joy, metal polish with no joy, a steam cleaner with no joy, this stuff is stubborn and is refusing to budge.

I have attached a couple of pictures below, does anyone have any idea what it might be? (Baked on road dirt?) and what might remove it cause now I am at a loss.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6enk7ezwmdyvwhu/Photo 15-11-2014 6 31 27 pm.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pb8rrc8m3ouht67/Photo 15-11-2014 6 33 13 pm.jpg?dl=0

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

·
Registered
13,090 Posts
Going on the first picture, I would be investing in some tar removal solution. That is, if I wanted to clean part of the car that no one sees....!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Going on the first picture, I would be investing in some tar removal solution. That is, if I wanted to clean part of the car that no one sees....!
Arrgh not a bad idea, reason I want to clean it is because Im looking at selling it otherwise granted it would of stayed how it is.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
That is corrosion, possibly due to the use of low grade stainless steel. Plenty of elbow grease to cut through it I think is needed.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is corrosion, possibly due to the use of low grade stainless steel. Plenty of elbow grease to cut through it I think is needed.
Really that isn't good, I thought the rust remover would get rid but it doesn't even touch it, if you scrape it with a razor blade you can get it off but I will be there for days.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Wire wool, the fine grade stuff is all that will work. Then metal polish, by machine if you have one, if not get an attachment for a drill.

I did my sills on my Brera with Autoglym metal polish and a wool attachment for an electric drill.

Attachments

·
Registered
921 Posts
Wire wool, the fine grade stuff is all that will work. Then metal polish, by machine if you have one, if not get an attachment for a drill.

I did my sills on my Brera with Autoglym metal polish and a wool attachment for an electric drill.
Those are top banana - guess who will be ordering a wool attachment tonight!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts