Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can i fit an alfa 146 exhaust / catalyst other other than the original ones? is it worth?

thanks!

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Not really worth it at all, you can go for a straight through cat replacement pipe, which is cheaper and will release a few horses too. But it all depends on the laws of your country if it's legal to do so.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what do you mean by that? don’t last enough time? aren’t efficient enough? cause I went to check the prices and the difference is huuuuuge. I’m tempted. I’ll have to decide what to do next week…

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
The cats on their to reduce polution, in the UK cars built after a certain year have to have a cat fited to pass the MOT.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, that i know. they are there to reduce polution. but why the "not original" ones are that bad? don't they last quite the same/do their job as the alfa ones?

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
The exhaust components are made by Bosal for the Alfa Factory, so a Bosal cat is the original one, others do the same job, just because it's on an Alfa doesn't mean Alfa made it.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
The cats on their to reduce polution, in the UK cars built after a certain year have to have a cat fited to pass the MOT.
Just a correction to this to avoid any confusion...in the UK, a car after a specific year (1993/94 I believe) has to pass a specifically set emmissions level test. If you can tune/map the engine well enough so that it passes that emmissions level test without a CAT then it's perfectly legal in the UK not to have a CAT fitted. Your car won't fail an MOT simply by the non-visibility / non-fitment of a CAT...it can only fail if it doesn't meet the required level of emmissions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts