Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having re-attached the exhaust on my V6 GTV, both manifold to front pipe joints are blowing, despite me fitting new metal gaskets.

I didn't use any sealant - should I?

And if so, should it be something like this - Copper silicone?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Can’t speak specifically for the GTV but any time I’ve done exhaust work on any car I’d always be liberal with sealant putting things back together. The stuff you’ve linked to should be absolutely fine.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Having re-attached the exhaust on my V6 GTV, both manifold to front pipe joints are blowing, despite me fitting new metal gaskets.

I didn't use any sealant - should I?

And if so, should it be something like this - Copper silicone?

Never used any and I've always been fine.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
Are you sure it's the gasket? I had a (front) manifold leak that turned out to be a cracked weld between the mounting flange-down-pipe. It was most noticeable when idling from cold but cleared when warm. Probably caused by grounding issues and/or fatigue over time. Found by removing and squirting wd-40 into joint. Could be seen seeping through to the welded join... just a thought.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
3 bolt gaskets?

its really easy to have the gaskets misaligned, dirty flanges, or one bolt not quite tight enough. Always takes me 2 goes to get it right on these, no idea why...

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2 bolt gaskets... I'll drop the front pipes again and clean the flanges.

Is the consensus that sealant should not be needed?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Are you sure it's the gasket? I had a (front) manifold leak that turned out to be a cracked weld between the mounting flange-down-pipe. It was most noticeable when idling from cold but cleared when warm. Probably caused by grounding issues and/or fatigue over time. Found by removing and squirting wd-40 into joint. Could be seen seeping through to the welded join... just a thought.
I'm currently suffering from a leak in the manifold weld too.

Often mistaken for gasket leak.

Will try to get the weld redone, what did you do?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks - will check!

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have used sealant on the gaskets and flanges for the manifolds and cat to down pipes.
The flanges are often pitted from corrosion and flatness poor, therefore sealant and gaskets is the most durable solution.
However this will not solve a cracked weld.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts