Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...what is a dongle does that let you use your laptop anywhere for internet access or do you have to be in range of a wi fi hotspot.

what do i need so that i can get internet access anywhere on my laptop

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
a dongle is usually use to connect your laptop to the mobile network, effectively it acts in the same way as connecting your phone to the laptop and then connecting to the internet....

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so a dongle will work for my laptop to access internet anywhere as long as there is a mobile phone signal

·
Registered
22,760 Posts
beware the 'fair use' policy on so called unlimited access via a cell network dongle. (also applies to 'phones).

Try and use any available (free and unsecured) wifi networks that may be nearby.

There are some horror stories about regarding people who've been fleeced by the cell provider when exceeding their daily/weekly/monthly 'unlimited' data allowance!

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i was going to get a pay as you go one as i only need it for a couple of weeks, looking at the website's it says 1gb = 10 hours (does this sound right?) surfing so i was going to get 3gb to cover myself. will probably only use about an hour a day so looking at about 16 hours worth of aoing emailing and talking online with mrs v6 (text not video)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so a dongle will work for my laptop to access internet anywhere as long as there is a mobile phone signal
Yes but milowokie has said beware the fair useage policy, it is so easy to get caught up on the internet and get hit with a massive bill

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i was going to get a pay as you go one as i only need it for a couple of weeks, looking at the website's it says 1gb = 10 hours (does this sound right?) surfing so i was going to get 3gb to cover myself. will probably only use about an hour a day so looking at about 16 hours worth of aoing emailing and talking online with mrs v6 (text not video)
i spent a night surfing a couple of forums and knocked up 25Gb without any issues at all......

·
Registered
22,760 Posts
should be enough for the less data intensive applications, when you start to download big files (music albums and TV shows/movies) it could get nasty.

Factory worker faces £27k Vodafone bill - ZDNet.co.uk

I remember when 500mb was the capacity of a hard drive, and you could run Microsoft Applications from a 5.25" floppy disk.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i spent a night surfing a couple of forums and knocked up 25Gb without any issues at all......
25gb:wow: :wow: :wow: i really hope you missed the decimal point there and meant

.25gb

surley thats not right. the amount of time i spend on here on my normal home broadband that would mean i rack up terobites

·
Registered
22,760 Posts
what kind of sites are these 25GB of data from surfing:wow:

usually it's 5-10MB for a music track, 100MB for an album, 350MB for hour long TV show (not HD quality) and 7-800MB for a movie (not DVD quality).

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Erm depends what kind of "Dongle" it is.

Dongle was originally used as a term for a hardware key
used to stop people just copying software instead of
paying for it.

You could be looking at plug in USB WiFi adaptor or a 3G
network "modem".

Linky to your "dongle" ?

;)

I use a 3G one with a 10 Euro/day rate and it's limited to 75Mb/day.

You're looking at Mb figures not Gb. ;)

·
Registered
13,001 Posts
should be enough for the less data intensive applications, when you start to download big files (music albums and TV shows/movies) it could get nasty.

Factory worker faces £27k Vodafone bill - ZDNet.co.uk

I remember when 500mb was the capacity of a hard drive, and you could run Microsoft Applications from a 5.25" floppy disk.
You remember VMS so?

Anyway back on topic ... yes V6 as the others say here be carefull .. I usually come on here for 10 mins and ya I know sometimes I'm last to leave :rolleyes:

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Erm depends what kind of "Dongle" it is.

Dongle was originally used as a term for a hardware key
used to stop people just copying software instead of
paying for it.

You could be looking at plug in USB WiFi adaptor or a 3G
network "modem".

Linky to your "dongle" ?

;)

I use a 3G one with a 10 Euro/day rate and it's limited to 75Mb/day.

You're looking at Mb figures not Gb. ;)
haven't found one yet as i cant buy it online, with the bank holiday and what not it wont arrive in time so ive got to go out and fetch one from a shop

sounds like i need a 3g network modem type though.

i want one that will let me use my laptop anywhere

any recomendations , also i only want a pay as you go one cos i only need it for a couple of weeks

·
Registered
22,760 Posts
You remember VMS so?
just remarking on how quickly things change and the capacity you'd thought you'd NEVER fill no longer seems enough.
Still couldn't beat the excitement of soldering another 32kb of memory to my Spectrum, or buying a 512kb memory expansion for £50 for my Amiga.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You remember VMS so?

Anyway back on topic ... yes V6 as the others say here be carefull .. I usually come on here for 10 mins and ya I know sometimes I'm last to leave :rolleyes:
i get lost in here for hours

ciggy :)

·
Registered
13,001 Posts
I know .. when I started we had two HD's at 170 MB each and we thought they were BIG ..

we'll get :killu: by V6..

oOps V6:)

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've got a Vodafone branded Huawei E160 which works pretty well.

Pretty happy with the Pay-If-You-Use tariff, don't know what they
are offering in the UK though.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
ok i shall try and explain this as best i can. there is a loop hole in the 3g system that allows you to get unlimited 3g internet broadband for £5 a month.
What you do is buy a cheap pay as you go 3g handset. if you already have one even better. and buy the 3g dongle.
Now what they tell you to do is top up if you are a pay as you go customer via the internet. the prices start at £10 for 1gb or what ever it is usage. DONT DO THIS.
Top up your pay as you go handset with ten pounds then go to my 3 the free web page all 3g phones have and top up your phone to have unlimited broadband for the month for £5. (you can find this in add ons)
Then take the sim card out of your phone and put it in your 3g dongle put it in the usb port on your laptop and log on to the net.
Hey presto you have unlimited broadband for the month for £5.
This is a loop hole. and as far as i know im the only person who has stumbled upon it. And it works as i wrote this using this techniqe with my 3g dongle.
But keep it under your hats. as i dont know any providor that does unlimited broadband for £5 a month.:)

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Yes as long as you have a 3g signal in your area.

Dont expect to win any awards for download speed as it can be painfully slow when the network is busy.
But for £5 a month who is complaining.
And defo avoid the contract deals like the plague. as rightly staited by someone else on here if you go over your usage allowance they will pull your pants down and spank you.
but if you read my previous post you will see that there is a cunning way around this.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts