1 - 20 of 3861 Posts

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Scotland

Which way will this go then:confused:

Is William Wallace making a comeback?

Will Wales be next?

Personally, despite being Welsh I'm British first & I don't get all this devolution / independence cobblers:(

Let's (seriously) discuss:thumbs:

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Strangely, I find myself agreeing with Cameron on this subject:wow:

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
Scotland are pretty independent, and to be fair, it's kind of one sided :(

But if memory serves me correctly, during the last elections (or maybe the time before that) didn't the Scottish people vote no for Independence via an elected party?

·
Registered
44,881 Posts
And therefore the Prime Minister is David Cameron

We seem to have a reasonable number of Scots in parliament...
and I mean the real Parliament at Westminster.
BBC News - Cameron denies 'dictating' terms of Scottish referendum
We've let the Scots waste money on their own quasi parliament

From my perspective the answer is simple :D
We've posted about the same subject at a similar time:)
It's spooky because I put up a poll at about the same time :eek:

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Seems to be a 'hardcore' minority who want independence anyhoo, I can back that up having lived there for five years and not meeting a single person in favour...

R

·
0 Posts
It's none of David Cameron's business, it's up to us Scots, no-one else.

·
Premium Member
4,544 Posts
Strangely, I find myself agreeing with Cameron on this subject:wow:
Unforunately it pains me to say the same. However the "Posh English Public schoolboy" trying to tell us what to do will not go down well with some & may have the opposite effect to that intended.

We are stronger together.

That is all I need to say :)
Good man :thumbs:

Can Scotland be economically independent?
Yet to be proved either way but I would think unlikely. See above.

·
Premium Member
4,544 Posts
Not arguing, but isn't it a "reserved matter"?
I believe that the legal advice to be publish later will say that only the UK Government can hold a binding referendum. Anything organized by the Scottish Executive (its legal name) will only be advisory

·
Premium Member
77,377 Posts
I believe that the legal advice to be publish later will say that only the UK Government can hold a binding referendum. Anything organized by the Scottish Executive (its legal name) will only be advisory
Hard to see how an advisory referendum could be ignored if anything like decisive.

·
Premium Member
4,544 Posts
Hard to see how an advisory referendum could be ignored if anything like decisive.
True. But unless we unilaterally declare independence (a la Rhodesia) it would have to be discussed/agreed with the rest of the UK & we all know how slowly bureaucracy can move.

I think it would take years to arrange even if everybody agrees.

·
Registered
37,651 Posts
Why go to the expense of creating all these quasi-autonomous 'regions', trebling the costs of government and adding to the burden of red tape?

Also, of course, the divisiveness of such actions. 'why should we pay for you?' and 'the oil is ours!' will be the next subjects of argument.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
United we stand, divided we fall!

It appears that it is us (UK) v europe now so we need to be strong.

IMO

·
Banned
112 Posts
Personally, I'd love to see a fully independant Scotland.

Firstly, we wouldn't have to subsidise them anymore.

Secondly, without any Scottish MPs, Labour would never win a General Election in England & Wales again.

Bring it on :thumbs:

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Lets have a referendum whenever the Scots choose to have one. The sooner the better I say. Perhaps then we'll have heard the last of bloody Bannockburn and Alex Salmond can be hailed as the new Braveheart, which is obviously what he wants.

Presumably the Scots in England will have to go back North because Scotland won't be in the EU, so they will all be illegal workers:D

1 - 20 of 3861 Posts