Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Exclusive reveal on the Alfa Mito M Modifica

Like many, I was most disappointed to hear that the much discussed Mito GTA had been postponed, probably axed, by Alfa Romeo! Mangoletsi shared this disappointment too, but there was nothing that could be done...or was there!!

The possibility of building a Mito Modifica (GTA style) was discussed at Mangoletsi HQ. Was it possible to get GTA performance from the 1.4 power unit? What about the suspension and brakes? They would all need to be uprated! It was going to be a tall order, but if anyone could do it, they could!

After much discussion the following brief was given to the Mangoletsi Modifica Performance Team to design and build the Ultimate performance Mito.
-It had to be the fastest Mito you could buy.
-The most powerful Mito you could buy.
-It had to have better handling than any other Mito.
-It had to look different, mean, aggressive and sporty.
-The exhaust had to sound fantastic.
-It had to have the complete package to appeal to 147GTA drivers.

After 6 months of testing and development here in the UK, I'm very proud to unveil the New Mito M Modifica!!

I have been very fortunate in getting the chance to test drive the prototype car over several days, so here is my own review:)

When I saw this car for the first time I thought WOW! what a great looking machine!

-Tornado Blue - the new Alfa colour which is amazing.
-Italian flag sill stripes.
-8C inspired front wing vents.
-Graphite painted Veloce wheels.
-Carbon fibre wing mirrors.
-Low profile "sticky" tyres.
-Lowered aggressive stance.
-Stainless steel Italian exhaust with twin tail pipes.
You can tell immediately this car is going to be great!

The performance upgrades on this engine have to be felt to be believed, I've mainly been in Dynamic mode, and I can't keep the silly grin off my face when using all the available power, This car is like a missile and as agile as a house fly!!

The Engine
The hike in power takes the 155bhp 1.4 unit up to an impressive 186bhp thanks to Mangoletsi working with Steinbauer (the guys who brought us the P-Box) to produce a bespoke tuning module – this will improve further still over the coming weeks as the target of 200bhp is still to be realised. I am also informed, but don’t tell anyone, that Mr Steinbauer himself and his Austrian tuning team are spending the next week with the Mangoletsi tuning team at Knutsford to finish this tuning project and several other projects on the new Alfa engine range prior to the announcement of the next Mangoletsi Performance Weekend which will happen soon. I can’t wait.

So as I said the upgrades make this car very rapid indeed but wait – there is more MiTo M in development still being tested and will be ready for install any day now which includes a huge custom front mounted intercooler with twin core low pressure drop design, larger injectors and modified turbo which when added to the large bore stainless steel Ragazzon exhaust system, the K&N 57i high flow air filter and the final Steinbauer tuning module the bhp will improve further still and I’m sure the 200bhp will be achieved.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Traction is excellent!
The 205/40/17 Yokahama Parada spec2 tyres and Q2 diff keep wheel spin to a minimum with the rush of power, there is almost no torque steer either, this I find amazing, this just shows how well developed this chassis is, as getting this much power from a car that weighs just over 1100kg to the road was always going to be tricky, but I'm mightily impressed.

The Sound!
The Stainless steel Ragazzon exhaust makes a lovely burble at idle, and a fiery Italian rasp under load, but remains quiet off load when cruising, this coupled with the sound of the turbo waste gate chattering between gear changes, and boost pressure noises, makes for an awesome symphony that is addictive!

Suspension
The Spax RSX coil over suspension with progressive rate springs and adjustable damping on front and rear has been setup and tested by the same man who set up the Brera S from Prodrive, it took several different spring rate changes to achieve the ideal compromise between for everyday use and track day handling, and it is now spot on! I drove for 6 hours on A and B roads to get home and could have easily driven on. The big advantage of this suspension setup is that you can set the ride height higher or lower yourself very easily to suit you and you can also change the damper hardness yourself within minutes – soft and comfortable if taking your Granny to the shops or hard and low if doing a track day.

Brakes and Handling
This handling package gives inspired confidence to really explore the Mito's handling limits, which are staggeringly good! With heavy braking the chassis stays flat and stable with very little pitching and rolling, this gives tremendous confidence to take corners at speeds you would not think possible, the EBC Ultimax brake pads work straight from cold with a very progressive feel and scrub speed with ease with Alfa scripted red powder coated callipers, 4 pistons up front and 2 piston rears!
At high and low speed the nose just goes where you put it, you can drive inch perfect, the front/rear balance is spot on!
I've never driven a small car at high speed that handles so competently and planted so the aero balance is excellent too.
The 6 speed gearbox is super slick with fast changes easily made, the clutch is light and easy in town traffic.

Interior

Timing Stats
I have done some stopwatch timing too:
0-60 is about 6 seconds
0-100 is about 14.5 seconds
50-70 in 4th gear is about 3.8 seconds
60-100 in 5th is about 9 seconds
This car has also achieved 145mph - but ran out of road, not power!

Do I like it, No - I love it!! Watch this space I may get one myself!
They are only producing 5 of these beasts, all in Tornado Blue. Forget waiting for Alfa Romeo to make a GTA get yourself a MiTo M Modifica.

Full price list is as follows - All prices are inclusive of VAT and Fitting!:-
Alfa MiTo 1.4TB 155 Veloce Spec in the new colour - Tornado Blue Metallic £16,955
Headlamp & Tailamp Surrounds in Black Opaque finish (Code 5DA) £100
Aluminium Sports Pedals & Footrest (Code 4CS) £160
Mangoletsi Mod 1 Performance Upgrade from 155 to 170 BHP £235
Mangoletsi Mod 6 PowerPedal Upgrade, Exhilarating Throttle Response £295
High Performance Brake Upgrade, EBC Ultimax Brake Pads £175
High Performance Sports Suspension, Spax RSX Coilovers, Fully Adjustable
Ride Height Lowering from 35-65mm, Fully Adjustable Shock Absorber
Stiffness, all adjustments made on Car, Great “Alfa GTA Style” Handling £795
High Performance Ragazzon Stainless Steel Italian Sports Exhaust £475
High Performance K & N Air Induction Kit including Lifetime Cone Air Filter £145
Alloy Wheels Painted in Graphite / Anthracite Colour £295
High Performance “Sticky” Tyres, Yokahama Parada Spec 2 £475
Alfa 8C Inspired Wing Vents £245
Carbon Fibre Steering Wheel Upgrade £115
Carbon Fibre Door Mirror Upgrade £85
Italian Flag Side Sill Graphics £145
Total Price of brand new vehicle including all modifications £20,695 £19,990

Ex DEMO price of MK10FGC , available immediately £18,990

...Or you can just upgrade your own Mito with some or all of these modifications. :)

·
Registered
13,001 Posts
OH what a cool mito .. then again I have liked the MiTo from day one. :cool:

·
Registered
848 Posts
Wow, looks really tasty :) The coilovers could transform the Mito's slightly harsh ride into something more civilized while giving more grip. Any idea if they went for softer springs in the end?

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
It looks like a lot of work has gone into this providing a cohesive performance package, not unlike the Cooper Works packages but probably with a lot less development capital.

Should be a fast, composed little car but it still looks bloody ugly IMHO and adding lots of details just makes it worse, the MiTo I feel would benefit from a less is more approach in looks, take everything away you do not need and what is left is the perfect synergy of form and function, which is the underlying ethic of the GTA anyway wouldn't you agree?

P.S. I Don't really see 147 and 156 GTAs as 'true' GTAs either, too much weight.
P.P.S Why does it have back seats? I have to wonder what all that malarkey weighs in at, there's going to be a lot of stress on that engine with the tuning mods and no upgraded internals I'd like to know if there are plans to reduce that stress by reducing weight.

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
It sounds great but I'm confused about a couple of things - which I admit I'm not very informed on, so forgive the questions.

I thought the TB155 was dropped now MultiAir is here? Does this mean the limited run is on "old" new stock?

Why not start with the 170bhp CL?

Doesn't the 170 have the active suspension set up? Wouldn't that be better than Spax adjustables (they may be better these days but in the past I always thought they were a bit "second tier" performance and quality wise).

Aesthetically, I don't like the sill stripes TBH, especially on that lovely blue. I appreciate it's an option, of course, and some will adore it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Do they have a website where you can order the stuff ? 0-60 is about 6 seconds i dont think thats realistic, im runing at MiTo with G-Tech stuff and it maks over 190 bhp, maybe 6,8 6,5. Maybe you are just a better driver :rolleyes:

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
It sounds great but I'm confused about a couple of things - which I admit I'm not very informed on, so forgive the questions.

I thought the TB155 was dropped now MultiAir is here? Does this mean the limited run is on "old" new stock?

Doesn't the 170 have the active suspension set up? Wouldn't that be better than Spax adjustables (they may be better these days but in the past I always thought they were a bit "second tier" performance and quality wise).

Aesthetically, I don't like the sill stripes TBH, especially on that lovely blue. I appreciate it's an option, of course, and some will adore it.
Jim, what a nice way of saying 'Haven't you really just got some old stock that Alfa can't shift because they brought out a newer better version and tried to make it special by sticking bits of plastic and tuning bits on?'

:lol:

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Jim, what a nice way of saying 'Haven't you really just got some old stock that Alfa can't shift because they brought out a newer better version and tried to make it special by sticking bits of plastic and tuning bits on?'

:lol:

:eek:;) That is one way of interpreting it.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Any impact on service intervals in modifying a 1.4 engine to put out 200bhp?

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, looks really tasty :) The coilovers could transform the Mito's slightly harsh ride into something more civilized while giving more grip. Any idea if they went for softer springs in the end?
I know during testing some pritty stiff spring rates were tried that were more suited to a pure trackcar, the final design spring rates are spot on for tarmac rally I would say, and have been tuned to work with the Yokohoma Parada spec2 tyres, its a phenomenal combination!:thumbs:

It looks like a lot of work has gone into this providing a cohesive performance package, not unlike the Cooper Works packages but probably with a lot less development capital.

Should be a fast, composed little car but it still looks bloody ugly IMHO and adding lots of details just makes it worse, the MiTo I feel would benefit from a less is more approach in looks, take everything away you do not need and what is left is the perfect synergy of form and function, which is the underlying ethic of the GTA anyway wouldn't you agree?

P.S. I Don't really see 147 and 156 GTAs as 'true' GTAs either, too much weight.
P.P.S Why does it have back seats? I have to wonder what all that malarkey weighs in at, there's going to be a lot of stress on that engine with the tuning mods and no upgraded internals I'd like to know if there are plans to reduce that stress by reducing weight.
Yes I'm a big fan of weight saving too, removing the rear seats for a trackday could easily be done, by leaving them in you have the option to take 4 friends with you.:)

The Spax RSX kit is very very good, people will always have there favoured shock manufacturers, but spax have been around for many years, I've used them my self on several cars, I was amazed at how well this little car handled and trust me it was tested to the limit!!:thumbs:

Do they have a website where you can order the stuff ? 0-60 is about 6 seconds i dont think thats realistic, im runing at MiTo with G-Tech stuff and it maks over 190 bhp, maybe 6,8 6,5. Maybe you are just a better driver :rolleyes:
all timed with a stop watch so + 0.25 sec would be fair, I did state "about" 6 seconds, its a very quick beasty!:)
I did multipul runs changing gear at different revs to get these times down.
This engine has a very long usable power curve and is a joy to use, coupled with excellent traction from the tyres and lots of practice to get the perfect launch on some grippy tarmac produced the times quoted.:)

Any impact on service intervals in modifying a 1.4 engine to put out 200bhp?
Mangoletsi will be able to answer this.:)

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
A great write up James along with some sexy arty pictures too! :thumbs: Is the helecopter you're daily commute? :p

I have to say when I had a quick 10 minute spin around Delamere forest, that the first thing that sprang to mind was how much grip, turn of speed, and go kart like handling this car had! It really made me grin from ear to ear it was that much fun to drive!!! That exhaust whoosh and turbo spool up sound was addictive to say the least :cool: This is what the Mito range has been waiting for!

Yet at the same time it was also more than happy to tootle along quietly if preferred. I think the team at Mangoletsi really have something here!

The only slight negative thing for me was there was too many 'Modifica' stickers on the car which made it look a bit un-tastful. 'Subtle and Undercover' is more my taste and only my opinion of course.

Yes the Italian sill stripes maybe... but just 2 small 'resin' type modifica badges near each side indicator or somewhere similar would be more than enough, and more to the point, more in-keeping with the Mangoletsi brand and stylish dealership.

I can't wait to see how the second car turns out if around 200bhp is reached!

U

·
0 Posts
The very fact that it had "Modifica" written on it anywhere would make me feel like a prat.

But basically its an old stock 155, tuned up a bit with a remap, with stronger brakes and coilovers, some dodgy decals, made to sound noisier, mesh holes in the side and chavved up with lots of bits from Halfords "styling" bins, ...... all for 2 grand more than 170 Cloverleaf.

You're havvin a larf mate

Try the Saxo brigade - that way >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A great write up James along with some sexy arty pictures too! :thumbs: Is the helecopter you're daily commute? :p

I have to say when I had a quick 10 minute spin around Delamere forest, that the first thing that sprang to mind was how much grip, turn of speed, and go kart like handling this car had! It really made me grin from ear to ear it was that much fun to drive!!! That exhaust whoosh and turbo spool up sound was addictive to say the least :cool: This is what the Mito range has been waiting for!

Yet at the same time it was also more than happy to tootle along quietly if preferred. I think the team at Mangoletsi really have something here!

The only slight negative thing for me was there was too many 'Modifica' stickers on the car which made it look a bit un-tastful. 'Subtle and Undercover' is more my taste and only my opinion of course.

Yes the Italian sill stripes maybe... but just 2 small 'resin' type modifica badges near each side indicator or somewhere similar would be more than enough, and more to the point, more in-keeping with the Mangoletsi brand and stylish dealership.

I can't wait to see how the second car turns out if around 200bhp is reached!
Thats a 1 Million pound Eurocopter with all the latest car/crime busting tech onboard, each machine deserves respect in its own right so it was an ideal photo shoot to do:cool:

The Essex Police Interceptor Team was very impressed with the Mito M Modifica:thumbs:

Rear Silencer only, I will get this clarified though.
There is another proto type machine as described that has a full system being tested as I understand it.:thumbs:

·
Registered
468 Posts
I saw this today when i took my mito in,
WOW is all i can say, its awesome, looked stunning, but mine is lower :p
However, someone has curbed the front wheels extreamly bad :O :cry: :tut:
Looks fantastic, and i am now phoning around trying to get a price to powder coat my wheels :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
To be honest, I think Mango have made a great effort of giving the Mito a little extra zing.

If you take off the vents, badges and stickers, then this looks to be a very capable little car.

Just a shame that Alfa haven't been able to put a few quid together to build something officially.

Something like this with over 200 hp, would surely sell.

I think what I am trying to say is, bring us the GTA!! :D

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I'm at Mango's on Saturday getting my Brera serviced (its a fully maintained fleet car so it has to go to a dealer) if the Monster MiTo is around I might blag a ride :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
UPDATE!
Clarification on Parts List - All prices are inclusive of VAT and Fitting!:cool:

I have checked up on the Ragazzon Exhaust listed, it is for the rear silencer and includes VAT and fitting.

To answer the question of "Why use a 155TB and not MultiAir?"
When the Mito M project started there was no MultiAir cars in the UK - however, I'm reliably informed that there will be a MultiAir project in the future!!:thumbs:

I saw this today when i took my mito in,
WOW is all i can say, its awesome, looked stunning, but mine is lower :p
However, someone has curbed the front wheels extreamly bad :O :cry: :tut:
Looks fantastic, and i am now phoning around trying to get a price to powder coat my wheels :thumbs:
hahah yes the person who curbed the wheel has been punished, not me I might add!
You should have asked for a test drive while your car was in!!:confused:

I'm at Mango's on Saturday getting my Brera serviced (its a fully maintained fleet car so it has to go to a dealer) if the Monster MiTo is around I might blag a ride :thumbs:
Great!! You won't want to give it back! Its a little cracker! look forward to reading what you thought of it:cool::thumbs:

·
Banned
548 Posts
It's a good idea and hats off to them.

But it's no where near in the same leauge as a GTA in the looks department, never will be.

I'm a tad disapointed really, the thread name got me a bit excited. I was expecting flared arches and an agressive stance, but it still looks like a ladybird.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts