Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See this linky

In short:-
4 cylinder, 1.8 litre turbo direct injection. Max power up to 300bhp, usable in either transverse or longitudinal applications, variable valve timing and turbo. from beginning 2013 made in Pratola Serra, Italy

EXCLUSIVELY for use in Alfa Romeo vehicles. Just what all the purists have been looking for. Some happy news to cheer up the regular forum moaners :)

·
Premium Member
7,625 Posts
Sounds promising, mentions aluminium construction and direct injection of petrol at 200 bar. Will also be Euro6 and the equivalent US standard compliant...

·
Premium Member
7,625 Posts
A bit more from Autonews Europe....

TURIN, Italy – Fiat S.p.A. has given the green light to a high performance 1.8 liter 4-cylinder gasoline engine for the Alfa Romeo brand that it has been considering for the past five years.

First announced in November 2006, the new unit – designed for both transversal and longitudinal applications – will be an all-aluminum unit featuring high pressure direct injection and turbocharging, with power peaking at 300hp, Fiat said.

Fiat's current 1.75 liter turbo power engine peaks at 235hp in the Alfa Giulietta compact hatchback.

The first model to use the new engine most likely will be the Alfa Romeo 4C, a limited edition coupe due in mid-2013. Alfa unveiled a concept model of the 4C in March at the Geneva auto show.

The first volume application of the new engine will occur on the Giulia midsized sedan and wagon to replace the Europe-only 159 range due in early 2014. The Giulia models most likely will be built in the U.S. for distribution in North America and Europe.

The new engine will be built for global application at the carmaker's Pratola Serra plant in central Italy, beginning in early 2013. The facility currently builds Fiat midsize gasoline and diesel engines, including the 1.75 liter turbo unit.

The new 1.8 liter engine is designed to be compliant with future emissions standards in both Europe (Euro 6) and the U.S. (Tier 2 Bin 5).

"This is an extremely important step for Alfa Romeo, as we continue to reposition our brand and prepare it for global distribution. The United States remains our primary objective as we prepare for a 2013 introduction of our models," Harald Wester, Fiat's chief technology officer and head of the Alfa Romeo and Maserati brands, said in a statement.

Wester added that the engine is the first in a series of initiatives to be implemented in the near future which will reconnect Alfa Romeo to its historical roots as a premium Italian sports car brand.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20111003/ANE/111009992/1193#ixzz1Zil61pHe

·
Registered
511 Posts
Interesting!

If we assume 950kg with driver the 4C will have the following performance figures:

Power to Weight: 321 bhp/ton
0-60: 4.1
0-100: 9.4
60-100: 5.3
1/4 Mile ET: 12.32
1/4 Mile Terminal: 114
Dragstrip 1/4 Mile ET: 12.12
Dragstrip 1/4 Mile Terminal: 117

Not too shabby!

G

·
0 Posts
Blimey, if a) this is true and b) I wore a hat, I feel some hat-eating coming on. Let's hope this happens, it really is potentially a big move that shows FGA is really serious about Alfa.

This bit also interesting: "Wester added that the engine is the first in a series of initiatives to be implemented in the near future which will reconnect Alfa Romeo to its historical roots as a premium Italian sports car brand."

Fingers crossed!!

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
This bit also interesting: "Wester added that the engine is the first in a series of initiatives to be implemented in the near future which will reconnect Alfa Romeo to its historical roots as a premium Italian sports car brand"
Brilliant news.......:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I thought the 4c was getting the 1750? :confused:
The concept car had a 1750, but I think they were just making sure the car got the green light first. Maybe that's why they kept saying "over 200 bhp".

If the 4C gets this, though, it will be a rocket. My brother's TT-S is fast and that's much heavier and much less powerful.

Also, surely an aluminium engine will also be lighter - might help reach that 900kg target ;)

·
Registered
398 Posts
So what do you guys think will be the new engine line up for the Giulia? I mean if the 1.8 litre petrol already outputs 300bhp then what's the point of the Pentastar V6? Or do we think that the 300bhp version will be exclusively for the 4C? Maybe for the Giulia they will do a detuned version of, say, 225bhp leaving then space for a 290-300bhp range-topping Pentastar V6.

I reckon for the petrol engines it'll be:
1.4MA 170bhp as the basic model
1.8 225bhp detuned version
3.2 (or is it 3.6?) V6 290bhp range topper
If these sell well, then maybe some 350bhp GTA could be on the cards but only 2-3 years after launch.

The floor is open for wild speculation

·
Registered
856 Posts
Interesting. But why sit on this engine for five years? Why announce it as scheduled for production now? Why not specify this engine when they announced plans to put the 4C into production? Once again, the Fox smells a rat...

As for exclusivity, knowing Fiat, I have my doubts about that, as it would appear to make little commercial sense. What I suspect is that Alfa will be the first brand to receive this engine, and will be the only one to get the high-power 300hp version. Fiat, however, wil be unable to resist quietly fitting lower-spec versions in Lancias, Dodges, or whatever they see fit in order to maximise the return on their investment.

If the Giulia is to be the first volume production car to use this engine, that means we still have a three-year wait. Or maybe a Giulietta GTA is on the cards?

G

·
0 Posts
Interesting. But why sit on this engine for five years? Why announce it as scheduled for production now? Why not specify this engine when they announced plans to put the 4C into production? Once again, the Fox smells a rat...

As for exclusivity, knowing Fiat, I have my doubts about that, as it would appear to make little commercial sense. What I suspect is that Alfa will be the first brand to receive this engine, and will be the only one to get the high-power 300hp version. Fiat, however, wil be unable to resist quietly fitting lower-spec versions in Lancias, Dodges, or whatever they see fit in order to maximise the return on their investment.

If the Giulia is to be the first volume production car to use this engine, that means we still have a three-year wait. Or maybe a Giulietta GTA is on the cards?
Who knows how FGA works? The last five year plan is completely out of the window. They are making it up as they go. So while this is potentially great news, there is no way of knowing if it will ever come true. It's a complete about turn by the current management, who are back to Alfa's "sporting heritage", something they had been trying to downplay (by dropping the "cuore sportivo" tagline for example). But the 4C has been a huge success from a PR perspective. If they get it into production with an Alfa engine with 300 BHP, it will be a standout car, everyone will be talking about it. I'd change my tune about buying one if they did that.

Your comment on the GTA is a good one. Remember the latest "plan" talks about the GTA brand. That's something that got canned after De Meo left (the MiTo GTA), but you can se them using the new engine in GTA versions of the mainline models.

Fingers crossed!

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Premium Member
7,625 Posts
Well Italiaspeed are "speculating" this could be the remnants of an old Chrysler World gasoline Engine that has been derided in the past for being rubbish....

Mind you Italiaspeed are starting to annoy me recently with their reporting. It all seems very critical and non fact based..

·
Registered
580 Posts
So what do you guys think will be the new engine line up for the Giulia? I mean if the 1.8 litre petrol already outputs 300bhp then what's the point of the Pentastar V6? Or do we think that the 300bhp version will be exclusively for the 4C? Maybe for the Giulia they will do a detuned version of, say, 225bhp leaving then space for a 290-300bhp range-topping Pentastar V6.

I reckon for the petrol engines it'll be:
1.4MA 170bhp as the basic model
1.8 225bhp detuned version
3.2 (or is it 3.6?) V6 290bhp range topper
If these sell well, then maybe some 350bhp GTA could be on the cards but only 2-3 years after launch.

The floor is open for wild speculation
I like the sounds of this. Anyone know any more details about this Pentastar V6? Is it actually american? Why don't FPT make a V6? They are cracking out fantastic modern 4 cylinder engines so why no V6 from them?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts