Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon - 159 been into dry dock for a few warranty items. One of which being a noticeable judder from the front brakes which appeared in the last 2-3 weeks.

This has been diagnosed by the garage as excessive run-out on the nearside brake disc. Sounds like they fought my corner with Alfa and tried to get it approved under warranty (on the basis that the car has done only 5k miles). Denied...on the basis that a manufacturing defect would have shown up sooner??

Hence they've said a skim will fix it, but I'll have to pay (£99 + VAT)

I'm kind to brakes and don't run the car ragged by any means, so I'm going to try my luck raising it with Alfa directly?

Any advice (or science I can blind them with!) much appreciated - have I got a chance or am i wasting my time?

Should i settle for a skim or push them for a new set of discs and pads?? (well you've got to try!);)

thanks all,
PhilipS

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
You can try, but unless there's clear visible proof of a fracture or warping then you're 'blowing' in the wind. :(

I'm not sure a skim will solve it. Perhaps only delay the inevitable.

Its classed as a consumable part and as such they won't honour something that could be abused ie 140mph to 0mph repeated braking tests.

My discs and pads have just died at ~35k miles mostly motorway driving and no track days.

New Tarox grooved and drilled discs and fast road pads. Not cheap but Ive been reassured far better than original equipment.

·
Registered
7,029 Posts
I'm not a big fan of skimming warped discs. It reduces the thickness of the disc, thus shortening its life, & there's a chance that skimming a warped disc back to flat relieves the stresses which caused the warping allowing the disc to return to its original state, resulting in the newly-machined surfaces now showing excessive run-out.

New discs are better &, if you're not paying dealer prices, cheaper.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
I'm not a big fan of skimming warped discs. It reduces the thickness of the disc, thus shortening its life, & there's a chance that skimming a warped disc back to flat relieves the stresses which caused the warping allowing the disc to return to its original state, resulting in the newly-machined surfaces now showing excessive run-out.

New discs are better &, if you're not paying dealer prices, cheaper.
Totally agree :thumbs:

Incidentally, are you sure it's runout? Is the disc thickness consistent? Can you see any pad material on the disc face? Is the disc mounting hub clean and true? How many miles have you done on these discs?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, only going on what the alfa dealer told me. I did look at the front face of all the discs before I took it in and they were clean (I had thought of build up),

The run-out is only 0.6mm but its enough to feel a judder through the steering and brake pedal, and even hear it on a smooth, quiet road.

The car has just gone over 5,000 miles (original disks and pads) and the judder started less than 500 miles ago

cheers, PhilipS

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
0.6mm is a lot of run out! Can't remember the spec numbers, but I would normally be looking for 0.1 (???) when fitting new discs.

My comment about run out vs thickness is that run out with consistent thickness = warping, whereas runout with inconsistent thickness is probably pad material. Knowing which of these you have might help prevent it happening again. Before you spend £££ you could try doing a hard brake from a decent speed (but not to standstill) and see if it helps....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts