Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 147 that had dropped a valve and snapped the cambelt. The battery has been flat as a pancake ever since i've had the car.

It also happens to need a new key coding (original was chewed by a dog) before I can start the car since repairing the engine.

Someone has just come around to my house with the examiner system to try and code a new key. He is having trouble connecting to the cars body computer. We can't find any obvious faults (all fuses are fine, all connections seem to be ok). He could connect to other systems like the Airbag ECU and Engine ECU.

It was suggested that it wouldn't have had this problem before the engine failure. So now i'm wondering if it's something i've done during the head swap or if something could have damaged itself due to the battery going flat and the car sitting for a few months, or when a power pack was used on the battery, etc.

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
Did you try jump starting it or did you remove the battery and charge it properly before starting?

Jump starting can easily blow ECUs...

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the previous owner put a power pack on it to turn over the engine to see if the belt was snapped.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
OH MY GOD !!!:eek:

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
blown up body computer !!! jump starting is unhealthy for an Alfa !

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've taken the body computer out and opened it up. No obvious signs of damage on the circuit board. Nothing burnt out.

If I was to get a second hand one to replace it with, can it be from any 147? Or even a 156?

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
If I was to get a second hand one to replace it with, can it be from any 147? Or even a 156?
156 doesn't have a body computer.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If jump starting would cause a fault, surely they'd be somthing burnt out on the circuit board?

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
not always visible, the internals of a semi conductor can be screwed and no sign on the board, check all contacts and use some contact spray. It sometimes helps if you start the engine with the Examiner
plugged in.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can't start the engine due to the immobilizer needing to be coded.

I think i'll buy another body computer and try again.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Been told today by 2 Alfa breakers that the body computer can't just be changed by itself, you need the engine ECU, and keys also. Any truth in this?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I managed to get this sorted. I swapped the immobiliser chip from the old key into my new one I wanted to be coded. As soon as I put that key into the ignition barrel and turned the ignition on, the alarm de-activated. After the alarm was switched off, the Examiner was able to connect to the cars body computer and the key was coded straight away. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts