Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stumbled upon a 19" ex display lcd monitor in pc world today for 49 quid, so i asked if it came with any warranty etc and he replied yes for 12 months.

Returning home and i tried out the monitor and it works fine however it has a slight green tinge towards the top of the screen and gradually gets clearer further down the screen. If you tilt the lcd back its very green, i presume i have a faulty unit....i did ask if it worked and they said it was perfect.

This was the last one and they have no other ex displays that i can see, because it was a sale item do i have any chance in getting a replacement? Maybe a new one :D
or will he go :tut:

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it has a warranty, and it is faulty, then it's worthy of replacement under that warranty.
Even if i paid 50 for it, will he have to give me one to the value of 50 or the cheapest one or do they have to match the spec of 19"

My concern would be if they gave me the cheapest and it's a 17", the only reason i bought the ex display was for that reason...as i can buy a brand new 17" for 60 so decided to get this one.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
The warranty would be a repair or replacement of the item purchased. The replacement would be to the value of the item purchased- not necessarily the price paid.
They could also offer you a refund, which would be for the amount you paid, but you are well within your rights to request a repair or replacement, due to the item not being fit for purpose.

This is fairly general though, and I would have a good read through the warranty conditions. I would imagine though that you would also have a manufacturers warranty to back up that which was given to you by the store.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Unless you were told of an existing fault before purchasing, the cost of the item is irrelevant - you are still entitled to your Statutory Rights. Don't let them fob you off with anything about it being in the sale etc, or that you'll have to send it back to the manufacturer yourself. The manufacturers warranty is IN ADDITION to your legal rights with the supplier, not in place of them.

You are entitled to either: a) a full refund, b) the unit to be repaired at no cost to you or c) a replacement. There is IIRC no mention of value associated with the item, so if you bought a 17" LCD monitor you should receive a replacement 17" monitor. However I would imagine the least expensive option for the store will be a refund and unfortunately you wouldn't have a great case for not accepting it really.

·
Administrator
45,154 Posts
Yep, I think it's at the store's discretion what option they go for, so they're pretty obviously going to go for the refund here.

BTW - check the ends of the cable you're using to connect the monitor. The symptom you describe could possibly be caused by bent pins.

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
Yep, I think it's at the store's discretion what option they go for, so they're pretty obviously going to go for the refund here.
Correct, and the store is always the first protocol, not the manufacturer.....however....if it is in manufacturers warranty, it might be worth while sending it back to them as you are more than likely to get a replacement (rather than repaired) refurbished monitor or new monitor in return, and there is even a chance of it being upgraded to the next model depending on stock levels / ended production, so might be worth finding out, but it may take some time (weeks depending on the customer service level) what manufacturer is it?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its an Advent monitor

Advent X19W , Reviews & Price Comparison

I have checked the cables, i was also given 2 cables 1 for vga and the other is dvi I think thats the ones so i tried them both as my computer can support the different cables.

I tried adjusting through the graphics card menu and tried to open the menu on the monitor and when pressing the button it does nothing.

The green is not as noticeable until you tilt the monitor (then it goes very green) if you look straight on it looks more dark...dark at the top of the screen getting lighter towards the bottom.

White pages have a slight green/blue tinge at the top.

S

·
0 Posts
:rolleyes: Call me a cynic if you like, but maybe there is a reason it was so cheap in the first place ......... perhaps it wasn't working 100% so they took it off their display?

If it isn't worth keeping, I'd settle for my money back if I were you. You didn't buy a brand new monitor - so why do you think you should end up with one? :tut:

You do realise that the store manager drives an Alfa, and is following this thread with interest. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:rolleyes: Call me a cynic if you like, but maybe there is a reason it was so cheap in the first place ......... perhaps it wasn't working 100% so they took it off their display?

If it isn't worth keeping, I'd settle for my money back if I were you. You didn't buy a brand new monitor - so why do you think you should end up with one? :tut:

You do realise that the store manager drives an Alfa, and is following this thread with interest. :lol: :lol: :lol:

maybe there is a reason it was so cheap in the first place?...... i was told it was on sale just because it was ex display

why do i think i am entitled to an exchange?....again because i was told it was working fine

I live in kilmarnock and travelling back and forth costs money and takes up time for what should of been a one way trip.

I don't expect a new one i want a working monitor, another ex display or not. The cheapest new one online price is 58 quid and i can say that i have spent near enough 8 quid running back and forth.

With regards to the manager watching this thread....was that a joke?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
everyone else thanks for the help and links, i might just put an extra 80 quid to it and buy a 22" :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts