Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A very sad day.
Ewald de Walt with his 116 GTV with a 916 3.0 motor in spun, hit a wall and rolled his car. This was one of thee fastest cars in clubmans. Such a pity to see it go out. Chipped tooth and a few cuts and bruises. H walked away from the car afterwards. I wasn't there, so the photos and info is from a friend of mine that was there. Order of photos might not be correct for the upload.

Attachments

·
Registered
655 Posts
That's never nice to see . You can see the tyre marks from the over correction when the car snaps back . If you look on you tube Formato did the same thing this year at Zwartkops in the GTC and also hit the wall in similiar fashion .
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wV4qnwl8-WY
. I did same thing at Midvaal once in my road GTV that never had an LS . Thank goodness it was the section coming onto the backstraight and their was no wall but just lots of long grass that ended up under my wiper blades .

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Ouch! :eek: glad he walked away from it though. There must have been a lot of cringing and gasping from the ceowd, that's for sure!

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
I saw this car on tv and was so impressed that amongst all those Golfies was a GTV!

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This car was so well balanced he would struggle to get it sideways. All I can say is wet track FTL!!!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Some times not even a wet track can create dramas with no fault of your own . Two gtv6 crashed badly into each other at the Meeting on Feb at Z as one the cars in previous race dropped fluid through turn three . I lost there at 140km/h when some golf dropped antifreeze on track . Missed the barrier by goolie hair . It all happened so fast . But when you have a roll cage and strapped you feel much better .

·
Registered
655 Posts
It is a no no but guys still leave it as they don't want to fork out for the redline antifreeze which is legal . scrutineers s can't check in the dark bottles . You could see this green stuff over the track once the dust settled . I was actually guilty of that when we raced at phakhisa one year and the temp was 1 degree . I put antifreeze in overnight as the cars were sitting outside the pits and wind chill factor was about -2 . I did not flush system out but just emptied the header tank for scrutineering .
So many of the Marque car guys leave it in as you often see it on the floor in the pits .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts