Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So tonight I decided to fit my softer poly bushes and my standard height springs and what should have been a reasonably quick job has now turned into a real nightmare.....

The mounting lug that hold the transverse arms on have been worn right through!!! One side has even started breaking up. What is worse is that this has obviously been like this for 5 years since the rear was first powerflexed!!!

How the???? Did this pass any MOT's!!!?

So now I desperately need a new rear subframe :(

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
I notice that Andy 916 Auto parts on eBay is selling refurbed Rear sub frames at the moment. Good luck with it!

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
I'm putting together a "poly bushed rear suspension rebuild kit" which will include powder coated sub frame, wish bones, spring pans, dog legs, arb, and new track rod ends.
The only parts on your car that will be reused will be the hubs which will be fitted with new bearings.
If your working on a tight budget, Biffa on this site has a rear sub frame in his shed you could buy very cheap.

Best of luck with it.
Andy

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, in the process of pulling the subframe off now (lovely day for it) so I can inspect the damage. Then I will try my local dismantlers first to see if they have one in stock.

Pics will follow.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No way it is fixable. The worst lug fell off when I removed the bolt. :(

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got a 2nd hand subframe on Ebay for £100 + Shipping. Not bad at all. I am going to take this oppertunity to clean up all the rust from the rear floor aswell as their seems to be a lot of it it in the rear arches and along the boot floor seams.

It appeared that every moving part of the rear suspension was seized so i will ensure everything is well lubricated before re-assembly.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Having compared these pictures to others, i don't think i have seen worse subframe damage than this!!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It doesn't look as though the supporting washers were fitted with these poly bushes?
The inner arm bushes don't have supporting washers, only the outer "Hub" end. This is correct as I have some spares brand new in their packaging.

The damage is caused by worn standard bushes and is a common problem on neglected GTV's.

You could of had mine for free just the cost of postage.
Thanks Biffa, Wish i knew that on saturday. I went straight to Ebay and managed to get a 2nd hand one for £100 which i don't think was too bad.

My replacment subframe has arrived already and is in much better shape. No damage to the lugs at all. A bit dirty but that doesn't bother me.

I am going to have to replace a few powerflex bushes as well, Fortunately the Transverse arms/doglegs were the purple style afterall so i don't need to replace those but the washers will need replacing on the outer arms. The inner springpan bushes are too big and the upper wishbones are still rubber as far as i can tell.

I might have a few brand new in box bushes to sell afterwards.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
The inner arm bushes don't have supporting washers, only the outer "Hub" end. This is correct as I have some spares brand new in their packaging.

The damage is caused by worn standard bushes and is a common problem on neglected GTV's.

Thanks Biffa, Wish i knew that on saturday. I went straight to Ebay and managed to get a 2nd hand one for £100 which i don't think was too bad.

My replacment subframe has arrived already and is in much better shape. No damage to the lugs at all. A bit dirty but that doesn't bother me.

I am going to have to replace a few powerflex bushes as well, Fortunately the Transverse arms/doglegs were the purple style afterall so i don't need to replace those but the washers will need replacing on the outer arms. The inner springpan bushes are too big and the upper wishbones are still rubber as far as i can tell.

I might have a few brand new in box bushes to sell afterwards.
Keep me in mine RE: spare bushes...

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Keep me in mine RE: spare bushes...
Hi Biffa,

Unfortunatly the bushes that were on the car weren't lubricated when they where fitted and the arms weren't cleaned up prior to fitting them. As a result i had to completely destroy the outer bushes to get them off the car. The inner bushes are also damaged from the wear on the subframe.

The only bush that wasn't a write off is the shock mount and since I am replacing every other bush i might as well do that too.

Hopefully though, now that everything that is supposed to pivot can actually now pivot the ride quality should be much improved.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts