Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Have you ever owned a russian made car??

• Total voters
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Once the very pround owner of a moskavich van. So proud only drove it a night so no one saw me, bit difficult really as the headlamps were candle powered and anything over 30 mph was very risky. Only had it two weeks, went like stink with the stopping power of a skateboard, complete white knuckle ride. Ended with the handbrake handle coming off in my hand(pull out type under the dash)and hitting a brick wall at 3 mile mph. the front end looked like i had hit a truck at 90 mph. Actully looked better after the smash,only thing good to come out of Russia is vodka

·
Registered
32,440 Posts
When I was about 15 my Dad was lookiing at buying a new motor and we driving around the country looking at various cars. On the way to a garage we passed this farm place selling tractors and various other farm machinery and...........yes Ladas!

Well my Dad pulls over and I am going WTF.........
'wait and see he says.........'

He goes in gets the keyes to one of them and off we go for a test drive, no 'salesman' included - he obviously knew no-one would take it!

It was so funny, we laughed all the way on the test drive and had tears in our eyes the car was soooooooooo bad. I felt sorry for the car, we must have hurt its feelings :)

Handed back the keys, said 'We'll think about it' and drove on. I think my Dad bought an Audi 80 1.8SE instead! :)

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Came back to me, this Moskovich, had a chromed ring horn push in the centre of the steering wheel, circular, about the same thickness as 1/8" welding wire. Tried it, and the welds fractured, the thing just fell off.:eek:

·
Registered
15,174 Posts
6 people have owned a Russian made car! :eek: :confused: :)

·
Registered
15,174 Posts
:lol: :cheese: :lol:

:thumbs:

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
Lada Riva 1.3L :D My dad had three !!! Riva 1.2L, 1.3L & 1.5L went up an engine size every time :lol:

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have a Russian wife, so I spend way to much time in Russian cars when visiting my in-laws. :p

So I voted "other" :lol: Mad drivers these Russians by the way, best car to drive there is something really BIG and menacing!

P

·
0 Posts
I had a 4x4 Lada Niva for a few years and loved it. It ate wheel bearings but I had a great warranty (Cheers Citröen)

21 - 37 of 37 Posts