Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Have you ever driven a Caterham/Westfield?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Very disconcerting, although I had just come out of 2 single seater race cars, one a Formula Lotus.

Sitting over the rear wheels in them like you do I found the dynamics utterly different to anything I've ever driven, I didn't trust it and it felt wallowy although VERY pointy, i.e. you point it where you want to go and you can see the whole front end swing round in that direction, this is because your sat so far back almost pivoting between the rear wheels, that alone is a bit of a weird sensation. I didn't push it too hard, I prefer the Single Seaters though.

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
No, but I've been a passenger a couple of times. Does that count? :D

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Driven my dad's Westfield; feels really fast, but actually isn't! Acceleration is excellent but my recollection (it was a few years ago) was that it feels like you're doing 100mph, but actually you're only doing 60. But exhilarating and great fun. Hard to get into, and disconcertingly low to the road.

G

·
No, but I built a Dutton Phaeton S3 kit car twenty years ago,,which was a kind of very low rent Lotus 7 type copy..not truly worthy of comparison with a caterham or westfield, but great fun all the same. I did the whole thing including engine rebuild for about £3k (engine and box from Cortina 1600E)

Mrs A did a great Zip up Tonneau for it and you could get quite cosy between soakings. The hood did work quite well as it had a rim that fitted into the top of the windscreen surround, and no poppers at the front to leak. It dripped a bit through the side screens though

I sold it twelve years ago and the kids still havn't entirely forgive me for selling "Derek The Dutton" as we called him.

I had wanted to build a Midas, and wish I had now, though it would have cost three times as much..which is what stopped me then.

No, never been in a westy or cat..Been in a REAL GT40 though:D

AlfaLincs

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Just been told my boss is selling a 1995 Supersprint he hasn't driven for 3 years, what sort of price should he be looking for?

·
Administrator
47,157 Posts
Drove one on a corporate teambuilding day at Oulton Park. Didn't get to do the circuit unfortunately, but did get to donut it round some traffic cones, bloody good fun. :D

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
driven a caterham twice, once at brands hatch, a kind of trials event, slalom thru cones, power slides etc. And then at jonathan palmers bedford autodrome. This was in the wet with an instructor on a short track, brilliant fun makes you realise the control the top drivers really have!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
A mate of mine works for Caterham and I was taken out for a spin in a Super-Light R500 - that thing is FAST.

No windscreen, just two carbon humps and the seats are made from Carbon Fibre with foam stuck on them at a few vital places.

0 - 60 in around 3.2 seconds!

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
Yes!!
I used to have a Westfield SE
;)
It was painted Ferrari Fly Yellow with black trim.
Great fun!!! As mentioned above you sit over the back axle so you can really feel any slide from the rear immediately. Only problem with that is the long bonnet and full harnesses don't make pulling out of junctions very easy!
:cool:
You have to view them as a four wheel motorbike, and use them accordingly, although the newer weather gear and items like heated screens make them a bit more practical. I had a full tonneau cover for mine which fastened round the dashboard top (if you removed the headrests) and it had a zip down the middle so you could drive it with the passenger seat covered up. At night it was fantastic and really let you live some 1950s Le Mans fantasies!! If that's what turns you on obviously...
:eek: :inlove: ;)

Some pics here....
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a338/RicksAlfas/DSC00500.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a338/RicksAlfas/DSC00492.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a338/RicksAlfas/DSC00521.jpg
:D

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
Never driven one, but I've done several laps round Oulton as a passenger in a Graduate racer. Hardest part of the job was getting into & out of it - race roll cages are designed more for protection than access!

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
The husband of a woman I used to play squash with let me loose in his Caterham once - a great car :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts