·
Registered
12,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aston Martin == Bazza mobile ;)

·
Registered
33,640 Posts
No, not yet, but I'm hoping a mad, rich guy is gonna give me the opportunity soon. :)

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That may be soon ;)

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope... it's 1.3 ... with off-color "toyota white" :p

;)

·
Super Moderator
44,765 Posts
Erm... let's see....
have I driven an Aston....
Can't remember :confused: ;)

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Me? No? :(

Since Astons are the topic however, I've got to share this...

It was late the other night. I couldn't sleep. There was nothing on TV and I was flipping channels. At one point there were a group of "executive" types taking to this young guy asking him "How you would sell an Aston Martin?" Well I thought I'd watch for a bit.

It turns out it was some sort of reality show about male models :rolleyes: -- or at least it was about a bunch of guys who were competing to become a male model, complete with rich modelling contract, agency representation, etc. Blech! Oh well I kept watching since the pickings were so slim.

The guys were all brought in to talk to the executives. They were told that their job was to promote a car. The first question they were asked was "Have you ever heard of an Aston Martin?" I was stunned when more than one said "No." Even some of those that said yes had no clue about what type of car it was. A couple couldn't even pronounce the name properly (thanks to a midwestern drawl and a Boston accent.)

The guys were all given a brochure package, and given a couple of seconds to flip through it, so they could get a sense of the car. The executives told them the car was about "luxury" and "class."

Then the potential models had to give a little pitch piece about the car. They were told to act like they were driving the car and to talk about the experience. The most memorable reponse was from the guy who cocked his head sideways, pretended to rest an elbow on the open window and clutched the imaginary steering wheel at the 12:00 o'clock position and moved his hand back and forth over a 5 degree sweep. According to his pitch "a car like this allows you to get all the chicks you want." :rolleyes: :cheese:

And they say women models are dumb? :D :cheese: And yes, they were all Americans. ;) Also if it matters :rolleyes: only one of them is supposed to be gay.
--Toronto

·
Super Moderator
44,765 Posts
It should be illegal for people like that to even talk about Astons :cheese:

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Might be a good place to hint the EUs law makers ;)

·
Registered
42,278 Posts
Yep, only on test though. Customers used to bring them in, DB 6's and so on, 'bout the same time I referred to that 2600 sprint with dry sump, wet liners. Wouldn't mind a 'cabbie' in a new one though.:D Fiesta Red I think! was the DB6?

·
Registered
42,278 Posts
Think the tappets were set with a DTI, on the Vantage engines, as opposed to using just feeler blades on the XK Jag motors):confused:

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I had a 1966 DB6 vantage in 1971 for about 6 months. Felt like a vintage car then. 6 150 main jets, with 120 air. Could do 20 mpg.
Still remember the air filter, a round paper filter down in the front. But nearer to the carbs was open expanded aluminium to let the air in.
If it popped back through the carbs when cold starting it could throw a cup full of petrol out and catch fire. You had to keep it revving to draw the flames in.
A nice looking DB4 I had later used to leave a pile of rust every time you closed a door. Steel shell, aluminium skin and brass window channels. Electrolytic nightmare. I had to put a new gearbox in it, went to Newport Pagnell and had to help myself from the stores. Lunch time you see.
Over engineered in other ways. The cam follower buckets were ground and balanced in different thicknesses.
And I didn't notice the reg number was my initials until it was sold.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
How could I forget the DB7, 6C, even worse. If the rear tyres didn't exactly match it would just about stay in one lane on the motorway.
Some early rear independent suspension had half shafts with splines in which used to lock under power, so they would hop round corners. Aston devised a complex system running the splines on rollers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts