Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just looking at the FIPA (Friends of old and historic cars) calendar and I saw that the charity rally is coming up on the 18th of September.
This is a one day rally and every car can participate (there is no age limit, even a brand new car can participate)

So that made me think!!!! :)
Why not to participate in these rallies as a club?????
This will create a good promotion and huge exposure for the club and it will be fun!
And is for a good cause :)

I know that, probably is too late to arrange that this year but we can arrange it next year.

All I want is your opinions for this

·
Registered
893 Posts
Hi Nikola.
Am with yu. Are they covering any gravel roads ? Why is too late or this year?

We may paricipate as representatives of the Alfa Club for this year, and then from next year include it officially in our activities. It is a good way of presenting fomally our club to the public.

Anymore opinions ?

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No,... I thought that maybe it was late because we didn't include it in our events list for this year and it is only a week after the event with the fiat 500 club.

If you thing that we can do it this year, I am with you.
I will participate anyway in this event.

I don't thing we will have to cover any gravel roads. They never include any before. But I can always ask!!!

·
Registered
893 Posts
Need to know also the duration of it as well. Is it a single day event ? Nikola please get us all the above info and will decide.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, It is one day event, starts at around 9:00 in the morning and ends in the afternoon.
OK I will call fipa and ask for more details

·
Banned
10,277 Posts
Please do that, I'm also interested in going in my Sud !

This will give me the push I need to finally fix the front brakes and change the front bonnet to the one Mario will paint for me ! ;)

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just called FIPA.
They told me that he charity rally on the 18th of September, unfortunatelly, has cancelled, :mad: for no reason.
They don't know if they are going to organize it on another date.
I will call them again beggining of September when everyone will be back from holidays and ask them again.
Too bad! It was a good oportunity. :mad:
Anyway, I'll keep you informed if anything else comes up.

·
Banned
10,277 Posts
This will give me more time to finally fix the brakes and change the bonnet of my Sud ! :lol:

...seriously now, I would really like to go to one of these events ....

·
Registered
893 Posts
Yes, would be nice to register together and have 2 black suds running one after the other. Anyway, Nikola pls keep an eye on this and let us know....

·
Registered
90 Posts
In FIPA events, besides the individual participation, you can compete as a team and also submit your car for the restoration trophy.

For the classic rally events, you have to have a FIPA/FIVA classic car certificate from the Cyprus AA. With this certificate you can also get a discount on your road tax.

If you'd like to follow-up on Nikolas suggestion, we can arrange for the club to meet the FIPA people to get a more complete set of information. For those of you who have participated in these events, the routes are fantastic and it's an opportunity also to stretch the legs of your classics.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the routes are fantastic and it's an opportunity also to stretch the legs of your classics.
I can confirm that!!! :) ...the routes are really nice
Alexi, I am already waiting for the rally in February/March.
You told me that is even harder than the other rallies?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yes, it is part of the FIA World Historic Regularity Rallies Championship (FIA Trophy for Historic Regularity Rallies) and it is a lot tougher than the ones you participated in already.

It's tough because it runs faster, has more clever and demanding speed and route changes, the special stages are longer etc. Average speed of 50 km/h is still max in special stages, but the winding roads are such (only tarmac), that in many cases you are really fighting to keep-up pace.

Great fun for those who don't mind pressing their classics and themselves. Your Merc (and mine) are not the ideal cars due to size, but they manage beautifully. Best cars would be a GT, pre 81 Sud, Sprint, Spider.

·
Banned
10,277 Posts
I'm interested in running with my Sud in these rallies, but I always felt that it would be boring as it doesnt involve speed.
From what you say though, I would surely be interested ! :cool:

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK Chris
Finish with your Sud and all you have to do is to register it as classic (is more than 30 years old right?)
Just make sure that the engine is the original type that used to come with the car (If the engine is changed it doesn't matter, it just needs to be the same type/ "part number")
If you join these rallies competitively, I can assure you, you wont be bored at all, and every time you finish a rally you will just anticipate for the next one.
All you need is a good car and a good co-driver :D
Please ask me if you need any help on this matter

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great fun for those who don't mind pressing their classics and themselves. Your Merc (and mine) are not the ideal cars due to size, but they manage beautifully. Best cars would be a GT, pre 81 Sud, Sprint, Spider.
The only thing, I am a bit worry after what happened with the brakes on the last rally.
I'll have to check them and see what I can do in order to make them more resistant!!!
I already have in mind a few suggestions about it

·
Registered
90 Posts
Nikola, you cannot do anything to the brakes, which are also ventilated at the front, other than remove the wheel covers (tasia) for slightly better ventilation. You cannot increase their size due to the wheel size, nor is it advisable to install cross drilled disks (they have some disadvantages in heavy high-temp use). Just use the gears to reduce speed and don't brake too much before a corner. My brakes overheated as well, cause my driver (who's not used to Automatics) kept putting it in "D", therefore we were mostly in top gear going downhill.

A

·
0 Posts
What about if he goes with an upgrade of the front disc pads and also replace the brake oil with a higher temperature resistant?

Another option ofcourse is to replace the driver (himself) and enjoy the Merc's back seat comfort. :cheese:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts