Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a very hard working team of volunteer Regional Reps at AO. Part of their remit is to organise and promote events within their regions. However we also realise that there are forum members who also organise meets and events and whilst we want to encourage this we need to do so with a respectful nod to the Regional Reps!

As such, the following announcement has been placed in each regional lounge:

Alfaowner.com welcomes the advertising of events which will be of interest to forum members. Should you wish to publicise an event in your regional lounge please understand that it will need to be approved by a member of the AO Regional Rep Team.

RSVPs will only be attached to events being attended in an official capacity by members of AO, i.e. those with attendance organised in advance by the Regional Reps.

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
Question PG: Does this mean we can sort out events without needing a mod to 'authorise' but a mod or an area rep needs to be in attendance? :)

·
Super Moderator
9,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It means that if you post an event, a Rep will have to authorise it - as happens now anyway.

Your event will be in the normal part of the lounge (i.e. not stuck to the top of the forum) and potential attendees won't have the ability to RSVP attendance UNLESS the Rep thinks that it would be a good event for formal AO attendance (i.e. that organised by the Rep in conjunction with the event organiser) - in which case the event status can be elevated, RSVP attached and the event stuck.

Basically it's a way of getting to know about more events in your area and potentially have AO attendance en masse :thumbs:

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
It means that if you post an event, a Rep will have to authorise it - as happens now anyway.

Your event will be in the normal part of the lounge (i.e. not stuck to the top of the forum) and potential attendees won't have the ability to RSVP attendance UNLESS the Rep thinks that it would be a good event for formal AO attendance (i.e. that organised by the Rep in conjunction with the event organiser) - in which case the event status can be elevated, RSVP attached and the event stuck.

Basically it's a way of getting to know about more events in your area and potentially have AO attendance en masse :thumbs:
This happens anyway, all the events I post up is stuck to the top so people can RSVP, just a shame no one wants to get up early to meet up etc. :(

·
Banned
3,532 Posts

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,380 Posts
It will stay open in the regional lounge but without the option to RSVP to the event

I'll choose not to take offence at the power trip quip this once

·
Banned
57,288 Posts
What happens if the Reps don't think its a good event? Is there a right of appeal? Or is this another power trip for staff members?
The event will be posted regardless of the opinion of the Rep, however as was made clear in the announcement if the event is given the backing of the Rep Team in that region it will be given an RSVP and upgraded to a sticky.

We're volunteers and have the right to spend our time promoting the events we believe ourselves and our region members will get the most enjoyment out of.

C

·
0 Posts
I have never come across a Public forum on any subject before that has "regional reps". Bizzaar to say the least, but hey ho, whatever floats your boat. Moderators ,yes, but reps?:confused:
I would imagine it's easy to organise events via the PM system rather than involve "reps".??

·
Administrator
45,155 Posts
Have you ever been on a forum before that had regional meetings, and needed people to organise them?

Because it you haven't, then that's why.

And if you have, then whatever they were called there, they were regional reps.

Not all that bizarre after all then, is it?

C

·
0 Posts
Have you ever been on a forum before that had regional meetings, and needed people to organise them?

Because it you haven't, then that's why.

And if you have, then whatever they were called there, they were regional reps.

Not all that bizarre after all then, is it?
No, I haven't. A forum to me, is a forum and not a club. I am a member of a local club, pay a subscription and we meet up and go to various events & shows etc.
Surely the AROC is a club that would poss. have reps, but a forum? If folk want to get together who regularly chat on a forum they can surely do this without the blessings/authorising of a rep, or even the neccesity of such?

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
This is all very interesting, but I think that not having the events as stickies at the top of the area sections are just going to mean it'll be hard to keep track of who's coming, making people aware of the meet and you can't ask to be reminded about the meet closer to date.

Why did it have to change?

So while people agree to disagree, I'll be sitting here with my popcorn :)

·
63,380 Posts
It changed because we had people all over the place posting events willy nilly. Someones neighbours cat had a **** next to a Teledial, lets have a meet and get some photos!

It sort of renders the point of AO events and AO Reps a bit useless if that was allowed to carry on. As i said, if an event is deemed popular or interesting enough then the rep team can upgrade the new event from a post to a stickied RSVP

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
It changed because we had people all over the place posting events willy nilly. Someones neighbours cat had a **** next to a Teledial, lets have a meet and get some photos!

It sort of renders the point of AO events and AO Reps a bit useless if that was allowed to carry on. As i said, if an event is deemed popular or interesting enough then the rep team can upgrade the new event from a post to a stickied RSVP
Ah okay, I generally thought that is what happened anyway Gaz :)

·
63,380 Posts
I have never come across a Public forum on any subject before that has "regional reps". Bizzaar to say the least, but hey ho, whatever floats your boat. Moderators ,yes, but reps?:confused:
I would imagine it's easy to organise events via the PM system rather than involve "reps".??
No, I haven't. A forum to me, is a forum and not a club. I am a member of a local club, pay a subscription and we meet up and go to various events & shows etc.
Surely the AROC is a club that would poss. have reps, but a forum? If folk want to get together who regularly chat on a forum they can surely do this without the blessings/authorising of a rep, or even the neccesity of such?
Some view AO as a forum, some view it as a club. Depends which camp you are in

The point of Reps is both to organise the regional events and to keep each regional lounge tidy. It would be pretty chaotic in the regionals without us. Everyones different event threads would be forever bumped in order to stay at the top and generate interest. It would also be a massive power struggle if everyone could moderate their own threads.

·
63,380 Posts
Ah okay, I generally thought that is what happened anyway Gaz :)
It does to an extent. We only had two options before when non-reps submitted event threads for approval, validate or ignore. Validate and it takes over, ignore and the event is only submitted again, and again until it is validated

Now we can hopefully validate ALL events, allowing others to attend a meet that may be closer to them than an official AO organised and promoted one. The AO ones will take priority of course

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
It does to an extent. We only had two options before when non-reps submitted event threads for approval, validate or ignore. Validate and it takes over, ignore and the event is only submitted again, and again until it is validated

Now we can hopefully validate ALL events, allowing others to attend a meet that may be closer to them than an official AO organised and promoted one. The AO ones will take priority of course
Makes all the sense if you put it that way, makes things a bit more simple and the like, gives people a choice in what they wanna do etc :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.