Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went along today to an Alfa romeo dealership to veiw a lovely GT they had in stock and with a veiw to px the 166 in for the GT that was around £11k .Test drive completed and very nice it was then came the px price for my 166 . £500!!! Now i know not to expect great things in px prices for an Alfa romeo 166 or in fact any Alfa but that is a slight insult bearing in mind this is a genuine 59000 mile face lift 55 plate TS with leather and supersport wheels with full history and with over £1600 just spent on belts and h/gasket radiator. variator etc etc etc. and even if i say so myself lovely body/interior.I did think maybe somewhere around £2k or therabouts.
If i leave another year will i have to pay them to take it away?

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
They do their selves no favours at all. They could easily drop the price of the GT by £500 and let you keep your car if they wanted the sale. It would be less insulting if they said sorry the car is not one we would want to take in then advise on how to sell elsewhere.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what an absolute p---take! do they want the business or not?i hope u laughed in his face
To be honest i said that why on earth should i buy another Alfa as in three years or so you wont want to know it and offer me £500 .I would think they could get £1k at the auction for it and i know they have overheads but they really werent going to lose out even if they offered me £1500 .

·
Registered
237 Posts
My guess is they would give you £500 for your 166, and retail it for £2995. I would say a 55 plate 166 with 59K on the clock is still retailable through a main dealer. My local Alfa dealer had a 04 147 GTA that they were retailing a few months ago, and it wasn't that long ago they were retailing a facelift 156.

I would at least push them a bit on the part ex price as £500 is a bit of insult. Or knock them down on the screen price of the GT. Alternatively shop around a few different garages and see what they offer you.

When we traded my wifes car in last time, I got part ex prices that varied so much. The least we were offered was £2500 and the highest offer was £4000, so obviously we bought a car from the garage which gave us the best offer.

If a dealer is keen to sell a car, then they will do a deal!

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
The problem for the dealer is that the car might sit for a long time on his forecourt. People are avoiding cars over 2 litres like the plague. They should explain why they have insulted you with the price.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am serious! What colour is it and what colour is the interior? And please tell me the supersport wheels are those beautiful multispoke looking ones.

·
Registered
674 Posts
It's insulting but you have to understand their position too.

I was once considering upgrading my elderly 164. I found and test drove a lovely facelift 164 at Ramponis (remember them?). Louis, who was a total gent to deal with, gently told me he would prefer not to take my old 164 in as part-ex because it was too old for their stock and he would have to pass it down to another trader, he told me that he would have no mark-up on the deal but would simply dispose of it to the other trader and he warned me that the prices they would offer would insult me. To avoid insulting me he talked me out of part-ex'ing.

You should know this when you walk into a dealer.

But sometimes it makes sense. I part-ex'ed my 166 for my current car and I knew what I would be offered before the salesman got his Glass's guide out. In this case it suited me because I knew that car was overdue a belt change, needed four new tyres, a major service, a wheel bearing and seven years' worth of parking scuffs tidied up. Had I done all that work to her it would have been touch and go whether I got my money back, hence it was better for me to take the dealer's insulting offer.

·
Registered
260 Posts
is not for everyon

I no haggling is not for everyone,but regarding the GT,£500 off the price should not be too hard to negotiate as most buying guides will say that 5% is a resonable haggle target.

I have always managed 4% upwards,with not too much trouble on used car purchases.

That leaves the 166,with a 2K offer on the table on here already,surely PX is a last option financially.

Good luck:)

·
Registered
57 Posts
That was poor handling of a situation on his part in my opinion, 1. he could very easily dropped the price of the GT, 2. Offered you advice on the best way to sell your 166, 3. Simply said "to be honest it not for us" butwe can do cash deal on the GT £500 - £1k off etc etc.

Personally i wouldn't go back to them if they were rude/ignorant etc just shop around other Alfa dealers and see what they will give. If you do go back ask him what he will give you for the GT in 3-4 years time....

Best of luck with the hunt.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
does seem a bit of a rubbish way to try and get a sale! A garage back home just used to price up cars high and then offer great trade ins....people always seem to appreciate a really good trade in price even though they are probably paying the same (or maybe more!) overall (the price to change) - the psychology of selling!

·
Registered
873 Posts
the px price for my 166 . £500!!! Now i know not to expect great things in px prices for an Alfa romeo 166 or in fact any Alfa but that is a slight insult bearing in mind this is a genuine 59000 mile face lift 55 plate TS with leather and supersport wheels with full history
This is very interesting. I recently got a trade in price on my GTV 2.0 TS, 1997 car with FSH and 132,000 miles. The Glass's guide price was £430. You've been offered a bum deal by a dealer who didn't want to forecourt your car. Either that or as others have said, they were taking the p1$s.

This is why so many of us appear to be collecting cars - if you can't get a fair deal there is no point in selling!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts