1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
The grey sportwagon sounds best

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
grey sportwagon has a higher pitch note which makes me think its probably the only one maybe downpipes and/or manifolds where as all the others are just cat back exhausts.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Grey Sportwagon for me to. Not so much of a debate then :lol:

All the 147's sound weak. The extra bit of length on the 156 pipes definitely adds a bit more character

S

·
0 Posts
Hate to buck a trend but I reckon blue saloon sounds nicest.

They tend to loose the gentle thrum and gurgle and get all high pitched and screamy on some aftermarket exhausts.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Vendor
45,305 Posts
I dunno if its just my laptop speakers but they all sound very similar to me. Only the grey Sportwagon stands out as being much different. They all sound pretty decent though, hard to pick a winner.

I miss the smoothness of my old 3 litre, you can't get better than no cats & a big silencer if you ask me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e3swNkupSY

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
They do all sound quite similar.. must have got a group buy deal on exhausts.

Dan, yours is up there with the best sounding alfas.. or just cars in general

·
Banned
271 Posts
The sound from all is just to manufactured and detracts from the Busso V6.

There I said it! If you don't like it, tough!!! :lol:

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
How does it detract. By definition the exhaust is the sound of the V6. Some are more muted than others and some have different exhausts which give it a slightly different tone. Either way that is what a busso sounds like ;)

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts

·
Banned
271 Posts
Either way that is what a busso sounds like ;)
That's your opinion, personally I disagree fella, the sound of the Busso is heard right up until the point it reaches their rear box which has fancy baffles and destroys the orchestral sound of that V6 which is what I love to hear. I want an exhaust to work in harmony with the engine, not drowned out purely with that coming from the exhaust as those are on that vid.

It's a personal thang I guess, fare play to those who like it though:D

It's all good bruver, you like lime green calipers and matt black inlet pipes, not my thang but what ever floats your boat geezer:lol::thumbs:

G

·
0 Posts
It's personal opinion. I have changed from a standard/Wizrd cat back system to a full Alfaholics system (which is straight through at the rear). Complete change in sound, now I have nothing from the back box, it's all from up front. When the engine is not under load, the exhaust is pretty much inaudible. The noise of the Unicorse type systems is somewhat manufactured because of the baffles but I do think it sounds great. I do rather miss the excitement of the back box, now I have to press the loud pedal even more frequently to get exciting engine sounds!

All exhausts on performance cars are pretty much "tuned" to some degree to get an exhaust note which matches the car. So you pays your money and takes your choice.....

·
Banned
271 Posts
That's just it though Nige, with a lot of exhaust systems it's hard to hear what's happening up front. At 3000 rpm my exhaust sound tapers off and then I can hear the beautiful sound of my V6 under load which sounds just bleeding awesome, well I like it anyway. These in the vid hold no appeal for me, which clearly goes against the flow of the general opinion on here. But then I was never one for following a crowd:D

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
That's just it though Nige, with a lot of exhaust systems it's hard to hear what's happening up front. At 3000 rpm my exhaust sound tapers off and then I can hear the beautiful sound of my V6 under load which sounds just bleeding awesome, well I like it anyway. These in the vid hold no appeal for me, which clearly goes against the flow of the general opinion on here. But then I was never one for following a crowd:D
This!!

It's exactly whay my setup is like. It's deep until about 3,000 and then after that it is pure engine. Thats what I like.

I'll listen to the video at home through my stereo and then report back.

Some of the cars in the video look rather err interesting lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts