1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
41,387 Posts
Not sure i understand what the big issue is here... Our number plates arnt particularly special at the moment.

I do not like the idea of trying to make the EU like one big country tho, a more standardised system could work but allow each country to still have the colours they like, just make the numbers and letterings more uniform

·
Registered
44,843 Posts
Standardised plates, centralised registration, EU wide traffic laws (already in place), EU wide enforcement. Live in UK, get caught doing 75Kph in a 70 zone in Slovenia, enforceable fine on your doorstep when you return from holiday.

Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg and France already have such a system I believe.

·
Registered
6,634 Posts
More Daily Mail hysteria!

"110-year-old British licence plate design" Well, it hasn't changed in 110 years, has it - apart from the size, colour, font & format of the number. . .

"Europe could force all licence plates to carry the EU flag." Er, just about every new car registered in the UK has the EU flag & the legend "GB" on its number plates.

"Most British motorists want British number plates - not European ones." I would suggest that most British motorists couldn't care less.

I blame the French with their new-fangled number plates; I suspect the Germans may put up more resistance!

·
Registered
41,387 Posts
Would that not happen anyway... surely if you go through a GATSO in whatever country you would still get the fine and points?

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
More Daily Mail hysteria!

"110-year-old British licence plate design" Well, it hasn't changed in 110 years, has it - apart from the size, colour, font & format of the number. . .

Good ol' Daily Wail! Never let facts get in the way of a good
anti-EU, "They're taking our [fill-in-blank]" rant.

:thumbs:

Would that not happen anyway... surely if you go through a GATSO in whatever country you would still get the fine and points?
Only if the countries have bi-lateral agreements in place to denounce
their citizens to the foreign autoritah!!!

·
Registered
934 Posts
This report is from the Daily Mail ---- therefore its not worth reading ... or believing ...

Mind you I think personalised number plates are a waste of money ... I just dont understand why people want them...

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
"The eurocrats have failed to force us to put their symbol on our sports shirts" :rolleyes: It must be reassuring that a member of your governing party believes EVERYTHING he reads without question...

·
Registered
14,579 Posts
This report is from the Daily Mail ---- therefore its not worth reading ... or believing ...

Mind you I think personalised number plates are a waste of money ... I just dont understand why people want them...
They do nowt for me either but each to their own and all that.

Personally I couldn't care less about the plates on my car. As long as they fit in the existing slot I'm not remotely arsed.

·
Registered
41,387 Posts
There are no such agreements involving the UK and European states at the moment. :)
So I could fly through a French GATSO if I wanted too?

Hmmmm :lol:

·
Registered
479 Posts
It's OK with me as long as it's only applied to left hand drive cars. Or maybe that's the next move, to get us to drive on the right - gulp

E

·
0 Posts
If we allow those cheese eating surrender monkies and there mates in brussels to mess with our number plates, we'll have a million kagillion bulguranians comin' ere and takin' our bleedin' jawbs off us!!!

Vote farage!!!!!

EDIT: that was all in caps but AO clearly doesn't have a UKIP rant mode.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If we allow those cheese eating surrender monkies and there mates in brussels to mess with our number plates, we'll have a million kagillion bulguranians comin' ere and takin' our bleedin' jawbs off us!!!

Vote farage!!!!!

EDIT: that was all in caps but AO clearly doesn't have a UKIP rant mode.

IF WE ALLOW THESE CHEESE EATING SURRENDER MONKEYS AND THERE M8s in BRUSSELS TO MESS WITH OUR NUMBER PLATES WE'LL HAVE HOARDS OF EASTERN EUROPEANS COMING OVER HERE TEKKIn OUR JAAAWBS!

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Would ANPR cameras recognise any plate or do they just do UK ones. Sounds like an expensive change if they don't.
Then, all the money that DVLA has made selling vanity plates that have no further use, will there be refunds?

It's all Daily Mail rubbish just like the six week heatwave/antarctic cold that the Express have every week.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Yes, if the gendarmes actually catch you, you can be properly busted. However, French gatsos are not a worry. I attempt to slow down for them a bit as I don't want the police to be overly annoyed and stop me at the border....

·
Registered
714 Posts
Its more a question of the EU knobheads trying to dictate to us than the issue of numberplates .. like has been said the next thing will be the EU will decree the UK changing to driving on the wrong side of the road.

Wish someone would put a bomb under the EU HQ in Brussels and rid us of the bloody thing

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Its more a question of the EU knobheads trying to dictate to us
But it isn't the case. US, Canada and Mexico have conformed their numberplates to a common pattern and removed overlaps.

Ironically, the insistence of so many UK car buyers to not put a country identifier on their number plate makes this more of a problem. Without that code, someone trying to identify the car by plate has no clue of where it came from. As the rest of the EU stopped using the oval stickers about twenty years ago, younger road users don't even know about them.

In any case, the proposal isn't to put the EU flag on the plate (why propose something that just about everyone already does?): It's to standardise the format of plates to make sure that a Danish plate number can't be used as a fake French plate for example. The optional RFID tagging is to make ANPR systems easier to operate, and make forged plates easier to detect -- whether you're against that one or not has nothing to do with the EU asking for it: it's been floated by the UK authorities several times too, as part of pay-by-distance road tolling.

But why let the facts get in the way of the anti-EU narrative. This is the same EU of course that makes it possible for all those little Englanders to retire to Spain and France, or for them to buy their new German car from anyone who offers the best price, or to take a plane somewhere without being gouged by BA, or know what's actually in the food they buy; but that's apparently not the point, because THEY"RE TRYING TO TAKE AWAY OUR NUMBERPLATES!!11. The Euro-skeptic argument has more holes in it than the plot of a Michael Bay movie, but then it was never about facts, really... if you make people afraid of an "enemy", you can get them to support you no matter how bad for them your plans are going to be.

said the next thing will be the EU will decree the UK changing to driving on the wrong side of the road.
No, I've got a hold of the list: Apparently, the next things are that you'll be made to hug each other when you meet, take compliments gracefully, complain --at the time-- about bad service, and make edible food.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts