1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My problems...

P0335 engine speed sensor circuit
P1320 timing rev synchronisation

The engine started misfiring and then completely failed just prior to routine cam belt change. With this came intermittent problems with starting.

Since then I've had
- the RPM sensor changed
- cam sensor changed (twice) and the cam wheel(?) once
- air flow meter replaced (separate issue)

The car still has intermittent misfiring and engine failure. Apparently the cam sensor has voltage going in but only sporadic output...

I believe that the cam sensor would cause problems with starting but shouldn't result in misfiring or engine failure... The garage and auto electrician say they are unable to explain how or why I am having these problems.

Advice please!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have taken it to two independent Alfa garages and one main dealer, current advice stands as:

1. Take to a quiet country lane and torch it. (Independent)
2. Trade it against anything ASAP (Independent - I tried, but unfortunately they tried to start it before accepting as trade in... 45 minutes later I was able to start the thing and leave)
3. Further diagnostics to rule out wiring faults (both RPM and Cam Sensors have now been replaced twice!!) then replace then ECU (£750 fitted):cry: (that's the main dealer and he quoted £250 cheaper than the Independent!).

The trouble is getting rid of it is now becoming too expensive... and besides (when it runs) it is ovely to drive...

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
2 things that might be cheap in cheerful to try ... the battery is yours still on the original if so then it is well overdue for a change (alfa electrics are notoriously sensitive to voltage fluctations), other thing it could be might be a dodgy earth???

It really won't be your ECU ... maybe the connections to the ECU, but ECU's either work or do nothing ...

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
engine wiring loom issue?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think it is the original battery (it's a Unipart), but could the battery really cause misfiring while running? I can work out the poor starting, but...

Regarding the wiring loom, I have had that checked by a auto electrician and he gave it the all clear along with saying he couldn't find a problem with the earthing.

I have been told that ECUs can gradually go off... isn't that why people out there remap them?

The other thing is that a manual reset - ie disconnect battery 90minutes, running for 15 and rest for 10 improves things temporarily but not consistently.

Sorry but I'm pretty ignorant re cars and getting frustrated trying to work this through.:confused:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
I don't think it is the original battery (it's a Unipart), but could the battery really cause misfiring while running? I can work out the poor starting, but...

Regarding the wiring loom, I have had that checked by a auto electrician and he gave it the all clear along with saying he couldn't find a problem with the earthing.

I have been told that ECUs can gradually go off... isn't that why people out there remap them?

The other thing is that a manual reset - ie disconnect battery 90minutes, running for 15 and rest for 10 improves things temporarily but not consistently.

Sorry but I'm pretty ignorant re cars and getting frustrated trying to work this through.:confused:
Nope ECU's don't go off, people get them remapped to improve the power output from standard (when my car went on the rolling road prior to being remapped it still had the same power as the day it was made) ...

as for the battery check out the effects in this thread ... http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/engines-ts-jts-jtd-and-v6/66657-motor-control-system-failure-check-your-battery.html ... as it's a unipart battery I would suggest that it is probably a bottom of the range one (with a warranty of 3 years) ...

... I'm pretty sure (well half sure anyway) that when you change the cam sensor you have to remove the cambelt, did they just put the old cambelt back on??? ... also your cambelt is reaching the end of it's life could it have stretched ever so slighty?? just clutching at straws really ..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
having gone through a really rough patch. MCSF light on most of the time, misfiring regularly, 45 minutes to start the thing, it has now decided to run great for a few days - after another manual reset.

Re Cam belt: The problems started just prior to me getting the cam belt changed so it was a new belt when they changed the sensor.

I shall look to change/upgrade the battery...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts