Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I'm using the Great Fiat ECU Scanner software which worked first time and has helped me identify a fault with my Glow Plugs.

Now I need your great advice on what is actually wrong.

I have a 156 1.9 JTD 8V (03 Interior Facelift) with VDC and Cruise control.

I had the Glow plug lamp flashing after start up so before I got the ECU scanner I checked the glow plugs and found the plug fitted to the Cylinder next to the Cambelt was open Circuit.

So I bought this one of Ebay and fitted it expecting the Fault to clear!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....47074&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_1982wt_1165

But the Lamp now flashes intermittently ? It does not flash every time I start Cold / Hot.

I Got the ECU Scanner and it gives the following error -

Can anyone help answer the following

1 - Is Cct (1) the cylinder next to the Cambelt and is it 1 2 3 4 from cambelt to gearbox.

2 - Does the Alarm suggest the New Glow plug is Faulty, It read 3 Ohms on the multimeter when fitted, I think it should be around 9 Ohms.

Many thanks :thumbs:

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
Not sure what your problem is but is always best to replace all four glow plugs as they are all the same age mileage etc.
Reading your scanner, it says that the light was not illuminated for this fault?
Try swapping the glow plug from another cylinder,and clearing the codes to see if the fault moves, if not suspect wiring problem.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers chaps, I will try the ECU reset and move the suspect Glow plug to another position this weekend.
Will report back my findings.

Thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tried a couple of things this weekend but still getting an error:mad:

The Cct (1) just means Glow plug circuit 1 which is all 4 cylinders together, if it was a V6 then it could have 2 circuits, one for each bank.

I moved the Glow plug to cyl 2 No difference still getting the Alarm.

I have cleared the alarm with Fiat ECU Scanner but it keeps comming back?

The next thing I checked was the Glow plug relay which is mounted on the bulkhead behind the EGR valve.;)

This has 3 conectors

1 with 4 wires going to each of the glow plugs
1 with 4 Wires going elsware ? ECU maybe?
1 large 12V feed (70A from Battery positive)

I Metered each of the pins on the connector going to the glow plugs and
3 gave a reading of 0.4 Ohms
The new one now in cyl 2 read 0.3 Ohms

I then checked the outputs from the Relay and got 12V on all four when the relay was activated.

So all looks OK to me but still I get a Flashing light for 30 Seconds and the ECU error now reports "Signal High":rant:

Anyone have any ideas.

Cheers

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glow Plug's now OK

Got it sorted now :)

The cheap Glow Plug from E-bay (See first post) seems to be faulty.

The Original Glow Plug was Open Circuit (Dead) :mad:
The 3 remaining plugs all read 0.4 Ohms :)
The E-bay Glow Plug read 0.3 Ohms :confused:
The new NGK Y-534J read 0.8 Ohms :thumbs:

I believe the correct value for these plugs is 0.9 Ohms

Alarm Free and happy again.:D

So I would steer clear of the WEGA GX-103 if you ever need to replace a glow plug and save yourself a lot of trouble.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi folks,

I have just purchased 4 new glow plugs for my Alfa 147 1.9 JTD, erm well opened the bonnet and took the engine cover off, can anyone point me to where the plugs actually go!!!!!!! I see 4 round plastic covers with 1 wire running along the top connecting each one, is this where I should be looking.

Also having a nightmare changing the headlights.

Booo hoooo help me please. :cry:

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Hi folks,

I have just purchased 4 new glow plugs for my Alfa 147 1.9 JTD, erm well opened the bonnet and took the engine cover off, can anyone point me to where the plugs actually go!!!!!!! I see 4 round plastic covers with 1 wire running along the top connecting each one, is this where I should be looking.

Also having a nightmare changing the headlights.

Booo hoooo help me please. :cry:
hope you didnt get them off ebay:wow:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts