Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All AlfaOwners,

This website has been an awesome resource of information. Searching through over a period of time I have successfully diagnosed and refitted an accumulator pressure vessel for the selespeed actuator, rear wheel bearing and thermostat. This would have cost me a fortune to have done at garage - not withstanding they would have wanted to replace the entire actuator unit for starters... I did the lot for $200 complete with engine flush, oil + filter change and antifreeze.

Many thanks to all alfaowner contributors that made this possible.

Car running really good now, however...like all good alfa's it can be temperamental and challenging.

Ie. Sometimes, occasionally or when (she) feels like it...i turn ignition key and because it is in gear - it wont start. I push lever to 1st and its starts immediately. THis is where the quirkyness starts...On these occasions the electronic gear display slips & shows 2nd gear by itself and occasionally may even go to 4th gear. I have to actually select backwards to go from 4th to 3rd gear.

Please note - when car starts as per normal (without the in-gear glitch) it appears not to happen. In fact 90% of the time I dont have any such issues. Because it happens at standstill - at traffic lights - it has been a safety concern as the car wants to start from 2nd or cant make up its mind.

Could this be a faulty relay or sensor? Help from this waesome forum will enable me to further enjoy my alfa.

Cheers and look forward to lots of user and expert feedback.:thumbs:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Ie. Sometimes, occasionally or when (she) feels like it...i turn ignition key and because it is in gear - it wont start. I push lever to 1st and its starts immediately. THis is where the quirkyness starts...On these occasions the electronic gear display slips & shows 2nd gear by itself and occasionally may even go to 4th gear. I have to actually select backwards to go from 4th to 3rd gear.

Please note - when car starts as per normal (without the in-gear glitch) it appears not to happen. In fact 90% of the time I dont have any such issues. Because it happens at standstill - at traffic lights - it has been a safety concern as the car wants to start from 2nd or cant make up its mind.
I would suggest you check the clutch rod length, set it correctly and then run a calibration, which will then allow your ECU to know which gear is/ is not engaged and then allow the engine to start correctly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Romek...clutch rod checked OK. Will try calibration though, been a long time.
Having said that...it rarely occurs now but on the odd occasion when 'it' decides to slip from 2nd to 3rd it can be a pain in the butt

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Pressure on the ss system steady ? ( 55 bar +- 3) ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts