Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An odd (but great ;)) thing has happened recently to the Giulietta...

Its a 2.0MJ 170 on 18" wheels. Previously it was running at between 46 and 48 mpg on average. We then went to Italy in it (mileage now on 23k). On returning the consumption has jumped to around 51-53 mpg (so a 10% increase).

THe only thing I can think is the long distances we did might have cleared (fully) the DPF?

Has anyone else had such changes?

On my way to work this morning (20 miles, mixed roads with a little stop/start) it managed a whopping 59.0 mpg, which is pretty good......

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Might be the temperatures have dropped quite a bit and the Ac isn't on all the time trying to cool the cabin. Managed 67 mpg last week! still under 10k miles though

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hmmm, I seem to be going the other way... Purchased car with 16k on the clock, first 2 full tanks registered 48 and 50 mpg respectively, 4k later and 7 refills later averaging between 45.5 and 46.3 mpg.
Similar spec. car at 2.0MJ 170 on 18" wheels, so it's good to know that there is potential for improvement. Most of my driving is on single national speed limit roads which may explain the slightly lower figures although i'm not particularly heavy footed, but some cars just drive ridiculously slow and need passing.....
However, service is now due so this may or may not see an improvement.
Just as a footnote - the computer is stating 45.4 mpg since I got the car actual is 46.7 mpg, most complaints relating to these computers relate to overstating the return - Italian electrics for you!

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On close observation yesterday it displayed the same "symptoms" over a 20 mile journey. I think it must be related to the DPF.

For the first half of the journey the average was around 46mpg, and I noticed even at low speeds (tootling along at 30) it was struggling at around 35-40mpg. I also noticed on lift off of the throttle the mpg slowly went up, eventually reaching 99.9, ie took 4 or 5 readings to get there, over around 4 or 5 seconds.

I gave it a quick blat and it changed instantly, it was doing 60+mpg at 30mph and on lift off immediately jumped to 99.9mpg. Overall I got 50mpg (so the second half of the journey was 54mpg)....

And all this time I was also concentrating on driving ;):lol:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts