Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When driving on the motorway which i do every day (125k on the clock now and still going strong) at around 2000rpm in first or second gear, generally when am stuck in traffic the car doesn't run smoothly. It feels like it is kangarooing but not as bad, i've noticed one of the coil extension leads is slightly loose which i'm about to replace and hopefully be the cause.

Has anyone else experienced similar problem?

Some people talk about the air flow sensor etc needs cleaning out, how do i do this and is it an easy job? Could anything else be looked at whilst i'm at it.

I'haven't got a performance filter in the car if you were wondering.

Happy motoring.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi Ian,
I've a friend with a 2.0 TS 155 who had the same problem but at only 50k miles. It turned out to be the Timing Variator(a device which rotates the inlet cam relative to the exhaust cam to vary the timing...I think this occurs at about 2k rpm). If yours is on the original I'd strongly suspect this. My car(same model, 67k)is running a bit rough and when starting from cold sounds 'diesely' for a few seconds...this is another symptom. I'm also sensing slight hesitancy at around 2k as well. I'm having mine changed next Tuesday, I'll let you know how I get on. Apparently it's a good idea to routinely renew the Variator when changing the Timing Belts(60/72k) because the part is only about £65 from Mangoletsi and the belts need to come off which is otherwise up to 4 hours Labour. I wish I'd done this now! Cheers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Clive, as luck would have it i'm getting the cambelt, pulley and variator changed in the next two weeks. I hope this is the problem and it may improve the low down rpm responce. Let me know how you get on with yours.
Cheers,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Ian

Let us know if the variator sorts the problems out as I have similar symptoms on my 16v super. Unfortunately I had the belts changed about6000 miles ago. :(
Mike

·
Registered
550 Posts
HOW MANY MILES DO YOU HAVE IN YOUR CLOCK NOW MIKE ?
CHEERS

·
Premium Member
Tesla Model S
8,046 Posts
hello boys... I would:
(1) Clean the airflow meter with a electrical cleaner
(2) Change the cam variator
(3) Have your spark plugs pulled out and examined. As you are all at the milage time period.

Alfa Romeo say the later platinum pluged engines IE 16v have these and although they are rated for 60000 miles (100,000KM) they rarely go the distance, unless you drive your car sensible at all times.

This topic will be of interest to many future alfa owners so please reply with the fix when known.

Many thanks alfisti

AO

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had the Timing Variator changed yesterday and the car is definitely running smoother. Hopefully the fuel consumption will now also improve a little. Alfa Owner, please explain about the air flow meter, where it is and how to clean it. My delight has changed to near-despair when driving to work today some dork's spare wheel fell off his car, I ran over it at 80mph and took out both wheels/tyres on the offside...I'd just refurbished the wheels and fitted brand new tyres too...brilliant! :mad:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry about your wheels Clive, hopefully thats minor damage, 80mph your still here!

Anyway, I'd also like to know how to clean the airflow meter. Trouble is i don't know where it is? what it looks like and how to dismantle it?

Alfaowner can you shed some light on this one, or any owner who knows :eek:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Jorge

I have done 52K miles.
I had the belts changed at 46k and the tensioner wheel was quite worn (it was one of the black ones). I changed the plugs at 50k due to getting hesitation. I found both number 1 cylinder plugs were submerged in oil due to a leaking cam cover gasket.
I've since changed 2 plug leads due to damage and at the moment the hesitation has gone. :confused:

·
Registered
715 Posts
The leaking gasket is a common problem. I found this on mine after only 35k miles. This is also affected by the oil you use. Mine runs on coloured water (Mobil 1) so it suffered a bit on this too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Guys
Mine 16v is suffering the leaking gaskets, as well. But I don't think oil viscosity change anything. When I took over my 155 it was on Mobil 1 0W-40, I changed to Statoil synthetic 5W-40 and later to Castrol RS 10W-60 and the 5 secs clatter starting a hot engine's the same, and so is the sleight clatter running hot. Only diff. I noticed is increased oil consumption on 0W-40.
Alfisti regards
Erik

1 - 11 of 11 Posts