Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been watching this on YouTube, some great footage of '84 onwards turbo cars.

Motronic and Bendix engine ECUs, about the size of a briefcase...

Part 2

Each part is about an hour long.

·
Registered
22,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Look out for aerodynamicist Ross Brawn tapping away on a BBC computer about half-way through part 2.....

·
Registered
674 Posts
I stumbled across this recently and loved it.

It's a joy to watch a slow moving serious documentary without any silly reenactments, pointless dramatic music or mindless repetitions for the goldfish attention span generation.

Ross Brawn looked like a school boy on an internship.

What also struck me was how amateur everything was: oily rags, hand signals between the dynamometer crew, pencils and paper. This isn't long ago and it was the world's biggest auto manufacturer. I've seen more organised and meticulous technicians at club motocross meets.

·
Registered
22,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cross-wiring ECU boards to check for interference from the engine's ignition system....

·
Registered
269 Posts
I stumbled across this recently and loved it.

It's a joy to watch a slow moving serious documentary without any silly reenactments, pointless dramatic music or mindless repetitions for the goldfish attention span generation.

Ross Brawn looked like a school boy on an internship.

What also struck me was how amateur everything was: oily rags, hand signals between the dynamometer crew, pencils and paper. This isn't long ago and it was the world's biggest auto manufacturer. I've seen more organised and meticulous technicians at club motocross meets.
Just got round to watching this myself and it was fascinating - there are a few documentaries made these days that don't resort completley to dumbing down but they could all a thing or two from this.

I loved the bit where they said it wasn't worth justifying expensive tooling for the engine blocks so they just did it the old-fashioned cheaper way...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts