Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
916 spider 3l12v
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear fellow alfisti, I am looking for new downpipes for my 12 valve 3 litre spider. Since I have to change them might as well try equal length. 24 valve is easy but are there any off the shelf options for the 12 valve? Or is custom built the only alternative? Probably has been discussed before but could not find definitive answers. Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
694 Posts
I had a set of (nearly) equal length down-pipes and sports cat fitted to my Spider 12V around 4 years ago.
I couldn't go full EL as frankly there isn't the room underneath and my car is already lowered on a full coil-over set up.

It was a custom build by a local outlet of Longlife in South Wales. They did the rest of the system around 10 years ago, all stainless.

I love it, nice sound and although it doesn't really add much HP (shes an old girl at June 1995 & 170,000 kilometers) I thought it a nice investment.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Check clearance first. My P3 3.2 is lowered by 20mm and the car was unusable with eql downpipes. Shame as did sound good.... It is surprising how the most enexpected road undulations caused the exhaust to bottom out.... Just couldn't drive it.....

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
just gne back to standard myself, a real shame they do sound amazing, But poor roads they really are just a step to far for road use

·
Registered
605 Posts
just gne back to standard myself, a real shame they do sound amazing, But poor roads they really are just a step to far for road use
Yes it's great to hear the pulsing as the exhaust is expelled from each cylinder in series, but soon as out on road the fun turns to stress as it bottoms out....... Real shame....

·
Registered
916 spider 3l12v
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback! I guess the takeaway is that there is no off the shelf option and custom build is the only way if equal length is the target. If equal length is disregarded are there any other off the shelf options of only OEM?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Thanks for the feedback! I guess the takeaway is that there is no off the shelf option and custom build is the only way if equal length is the target. If equal length is disregarded are there any other off the shelf options of only OEM?
Alfaholics do a great set of stainless sport. Down pipes.... ?

·
Registered
PH1 spider 3.0L12v, GT 3.2
4 Posts
A bit of a late reply I know, but I have just started looking for EL downpipes for my 12v 3.0.

It seems Cybox do one:

At least based on my understanding, which is: CF1=12valve 3L, CF2=24v3L, CF3=24v3.2L.

Am I right in thinking the 12valve is a CF1?

·
Registered
605 Posts
A bit of a late reply I know, but I have just started looking for EL downpipes for my 12v 3.0.

It seems Cybox do one:

At least based on my understanding, which is: CF1=12valve 3L, CF2=24v3L, CF3=24v3.2L.

I think so

·
Registered
7,479 Posts

It seems Cybox do one:

3.0 12v engined models continued in production until year 2000. So it should include cf2 as well.

I doubt whether a company like Cybox will be familiar with the complexities of the Busso V6 production.

·
Registered
916 spider 3l12v
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not sure the cf1 to cf3 classification works for 12v cars at all. As per this manual (https://www.alfa-service.com/modx/katalog/english/GTV-Spider_(916).pdf) the exhaust setup and the respective parts for 12v are different from 24v. My current understanding is that the only way for 12v to get equal length downpipes is having them custom built. But I am definitely no expert on this at all.

·
Registered
611 Posts
12v has cast manifolds where the 24v has stainless steel from factory.

Worth considering getting some 24V CF1 manifolds modified to fit the 12v.. and then fitting the 24V ELDP to them

1 - 15 of 15 Posts