Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my 159 this week and it has two new tyres on the front by a make called EP. The website is here Elang Perdana ____ Flash Intro. I've never heard of them before and just a bit concerned they may some rubbish budget brand, i assume they have the correct load rating etc but need to double check.
Anyone heard of or have any experience of this make before?

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Have seen them crop up in the TyreTraders and Blackcircle.com web sites, always as a budget option though.
You can but try them! They will be up to correct spec and rating I would assume, but always worth a check.
I bought a second hand Saab a few years back that had a part worn fitted to the front, the wrong way round!! Moron hadn't seen that it was a directional tyre.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Yes, I've got them on my TI, bought by the previous owner who presumably scrubbed off his OEM's in 5 minutes flat(!). It's only done 13k and these have some wear too. As I put in a previous thread the tracking was someway out too but is now sorted. They seem OK to me (but I've never had the experience of OEM's however, so have no grounds for comparison) but the 19" wheels make it seem quite sure-footed compared to my 147 with 16".

·
Registered
686 Posts
I picked up my 159 this week and it has two new tyres on the front by a make called EP. The website is here Elang Perdana ____ Flash Intro. I've never heard of them before and just a bit concerned they may some rubbish budget brand, i assume they have the correct load rating etc but need to double check.
Anyone heard of or have any experience of this make before?
Yes it is the Accelera PHI tyre (a budget brand fron the Far East) and I believe they are the correct spec. From the photos I've seen the tread looks very similar to Contis as well.

I'm a bit tempted to give them a try myself so any more feedback would be appreciated as my fronts (Contis) are now starting to look a bit thin after 12000 miles and the price of replacing them is a bit eye watering :wow:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it is the Accelera PHI tyre (a budget brand fron the Far East) and I believe they are the correct spec. From the photos I've seen the tread looks very similar to Contis as well.

I'm a bit tempted to give them a try myself so any more feedback would be appreciated as my fronts (Contis) are now starting to look a bit thin after 12000 miles and the price of replacing them is a bit eye watering :wow:
Yep you're right they're the Accelera PHI and have the correct load rating of 98Y XL, they feel ok so far i've taken some swiftish corners and the car feels good although it is difficult to compare when i haven't driven the car with anything else (apart from the 20 min test drive). Its still a little disappointing that the dealer took Pirelli's off and put these on just to save a few quid.

I was a little surprised at how expensive the 235/45/18 tyres are, a decent mid-range (Kumho) came in at about £120. I was expecting them to be less then £100 for some reason.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Yep you're right they're the Accelera PHI and have the correct load rating of 98Y XL, they feel ok so far i've taken some swiftish corners and the car feels good although it is difficult to compare when i haven't driven the car with anything else (apart from the 20 min test drive). Its still a little disappointing that the dealer took Pirelli's off and put these on just to save a few quid.

I was a little surprised at how expensive the 235/45/18 tyres are, a decent mid-range (Kumho) came in at about £120. I was expecting them to be less then £100 for some reason.
The Pirellis on there would have cost around £185 each to replace, so I can't say I blame the dealer for seeking a cheaper alternative.

Just had four Falken tyres put on our 159, 18" rims. They were £130 each fully fitted and seem to be doing a good job so far :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just taken the plunge and had 4 accelera PHI put on the 159 2.4 (18'' rims). I was not sure this was a good idea but fed up with the cost of the p zero's, especially with the way the car eats the front ones. These worked out at half the price.

Not had them on long but so far so good, I had expected to loose it on the first corner.

·
Registered
82 Posts
When I got my Alfa the dealer had fitted 4 of these, when I checked though they were 225/40/19 93Y so way off being correct.

Did a bit of research and found out they were nasty cheap tyres! After a bit of haggling with the dealer they agreed to fit the correct Pirelli tyres...

The owners manual states that only Pirelli 234/40/ZR19 96Y should be fitted, so if the dealer has fitted something worng then it is down to them to fit the correct tyres... kick up a fuss with your dealer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been using these for over 1500 miles now and am suprised at how good they feel. The 18" are the correct spec and rating and would definitely consider using them again. No problems so far :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
42,865 Posts
I had a nosey around this today.... 2009 Alfa Romeo Brera 2.4 JTDM SV 3DR (didn't drive it) and noticed it had 4 accelera PHI fitted. Looked like the fronts had been swapped to the rear and vice versa.

Just checked the price of these on blackcircles and they roll in at £98.33 each fitted etc ..... I spent more than that on my Mito tyres :lol:

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I had a nosey around this today.... 2009 Alfa Romeo Brera 2.4 JTDM SV 3DR (didn't drive it) and noticed it had 4 accelera PHI fitted. Looked like the fronts had been swapped to the rear and vice versa.

Just checked the price of these on blackcircles and they roll in at £98.33 each fitted etc ..... I spent more than that on my Mito tyres :lol:
:thumbs: brilliant you must have some amazing tyres because they cost more....wonderful buying technique

I have some £5 notes i can sell you for a tenner...naturally they'll be better quality than normal fivers as you are paying more for them :rolleyes:

·
Registered
301 Posts
:thumbs: brilliant you must have some amazing tyres because they cost more....wonderful buying technique

I have some £5 notes i can sell you for a tenner...naturally they'll be better quality than normal fivers as you are paying more for them :rolleyes:

I'd give up, I'm tired of telling people acceleras are fine and have to be made to certain standards to be sold in the eu, even if there manufactured in the far east .... But I do enjoy giggling at the the people who put pirellis on at over 1000 a set cos they need the extra grip on the roundabouts on their Sunday drive. Such hardcore drivers on here ! Dedicated ! .... But stupid.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Dedicated ! .... But stupid.
The only stupid people on here are the ones rambling on about how great Acceleras are, then mock people who choose to buy premium brands :tut: Now tell me who's stupid, the people mocking those buying premium brands, or the people who buy a premium marque car with 19" wheels and then brag about putting on the cheapest rubber they can find?

I suppose I'll go buy the cheapest oil i can find. Its also a dark yellow liquid, it says on the label its meets the standards, so it must be the same as the expensive stuff? I guess the expensive stuff is just overpriced then.

Then I'll go put on the cheapest halfords battery i can find. It starts the car once fitted, so i guess the Bosch silver batterys are just overpriced?

How narrow minded :rant:

(and before you try selling me some Acceleras, I'm happy on my Nankangs as that's the decision that was right for me)

·
Registered
513 Posts
I recently bought a 320 CLK Merc with Acceleras on the back and they made wet roundabouts very interesting, you had to make damn sure you were straightened up before even touching the throttle. A pair of mid range Kumhos transformed the car.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I recently bought a 320 CLK Merc with Acceleras on the back and they made wet roundabouts very interesting, you had to make damn sure you were straightened up before even touching the throttle. A pair of mid range Kumhos transformed the car.
Oh but now you will be told that doesnt matter as its not a 159. And your comment isnt positive about Acceleras so MUST be a lie.

Or maybe i should make stupid posts like - Fantastic to hear Spike :thumbs:

And i like the Kumho's. Good price and good grip levels but i found they wear quite quick. But at the lower price this was a fair compromise for me

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Got Nankangs on the 19s currently. Handle the remap power pretty well. Wearing well, good in the wet, quiet on the motorway, all round fine.
Had Acceleras on the last 159, 18" wheels, remap, all good.

Each to their own, but lay off on the slanging. We all have a choice based on what we can/choose to afford.

I don't drive a monster quick car with stoopid bhp, so am happy with the rubber wrapped around my alloys.
Get over yourselves folks.

Live, love and be happy. Just don't end up in a ditch because you drive like a tool.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts