Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone suggest a tried and tested diagnostics package for a 2.0JTS, where to get it from, what I should excpect to pay and also where to get a suitable interface cable (assume USB).

THANKS

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
You need Examiner Alfa diag is nice to see fault codes (as David said the JTS wont work with it !) but resetting things it won't

·
Registered
92 Posts
I bought an Elm 327 interface for my 2003 156 JTS from these guys: Talk To My Car supplies OBD2 OBD and EOBD Code readers Scanner PC interfaces and professional tools at an affordable price . It works well enough: it will reset service lights and give code readouts. It saved me a fortune by telling me which coil was faulty. It doesn't seem to pick up the lambda sensors properly, though.

They don't have the model I used on the website anymore BUT it looks like this one on ebay ELM327 USB Diagnostic Fault Code Reader E-OBD-2 ELM 327 on eBay, also, Diagnostic Tools Equipment, Garage Equipment Tools, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 30-May-08 14:36:01 BST)

Chris

·
Registered
56 Posts
I bought an Elm 327 interface and cable for my 2.0 JTS off eBay and it arrived today. Still playing with it but it seems to work well with the software that was bundled and another freeware package that I downloaded.

It has a USB interface and I had no problems that other people have experienced, but I am using a fairly new laptop and you have to make sure that you load the Elm USB driver software that comes on the disk then go into Windows Device Manager and make sure that the COM port number tallies up with the diagnostic software settings. All in the instructions on the disk, very impressed.

It is generic so not up to the Alfa examiner standards but it only cost £30 and it reset my MCSF light, so it has to worth it just for that.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a JTS and I bought this software and hardware. ScanXL witht eh bluetooth ElmScan 5. Works well and for just about every car going post 2000 I think.

ScanTool.net - Home - Welcome to ScanTool.net
Do you have the full version of ScanXL and if so what did you pay for it if I may ask? I also have the Elmscan 5 and I am also considering to buy the ScanXL software.

Are you able to log data with it like I have done:
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/tuning-and-upgrades/99844-tuning-alfa-156-2-0-jts.html#post1503115
Could be interesting to see the difference in MAF vs RPM between various JTS.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Do you have the full version of ScanXL and if so what did you pay for it if I may ask? I also have the Elmscan 5 and I am also considering to buy the ScanXL software.

Are you able to log data with it like I have done:
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/tuning-and-upgrades/99844-tuning-alfa-156-2-0-jts.html#post1503115
Could be interesting to see the difference in MAF vs RPM between various JTS.

I have logged data alright, mainly just to mess around with it. I'm sure I havent used it to it's full potential by any means as yet. Mainly for fault reading and resetting. The software and hardware was about $227. Thats an estimate, not too sure. The site tells you, I bought direct from them and have also used it on a Honda Civic.

If I remember too then next time I have it up and running and have a small bit of time then I will try set up a chart for A.Flow V RPM if you would like. Could be a while... :)

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Just to update this also,

Alfadiag has now released a version compatible with the JTS, I have bought it also and can compare it with ScanXL. After my huge experience of using alfadiag (5mins) my results are as follows:

ScanXL
+ Works with almost all cars
+Gives good fast scanning data and good expandability

-As it is generic it doesnt focus quite as much on what alfa owners prob want like sensor readings etc.

Alfadiag
+Cheaper!
+Better for sensor readings along with any other variable parameters
+Capable of connecting to airbag ECU

If only requiring it for your alfa then definitely go for alfadiag, I would only get ScanXL if requiring it for other make cars also..

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Alfadiag 3.0 supports JTS Sele.... (EOBD)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts