Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all I'm driving a 147jtd 16v cv150 how long does the enjin last before serious problems come to the floor as my car is now on 170k.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Depends on routine maintenance and oil changes and tolerances. Most will out live the car shell though.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
how long is a piece of string?

at that mileage it depends solely on how it has been maintained throughout its life, the actual engine on the jtdm is very solid and there are plenty with that kind mileage and over running fine, seen several Saab's with the same lump with approaching 400k on them and a few Alfa's well south of 200k.

however its not the engine that will likely be the thing that makes the car uneconomical to keep on the road but the ancillaries.

the things that may or may not begin to cause problems if they have not been addressed.

EGR, cam belt, wishbones,clutch,oil cooler pipes, turbo, radiator,coolant hoses,turbo hoses,DMF, fuel filter,MAF,MAP,TPS,CPS,aux belt and pulleys,and related stuff..

if its been looked after you could have another 100k of happy driving with just normal servicing and the odd unexpected..

it could also break down tomorrow if you or the previous keepers have neglected it. at 170k though it implies its been looked after or it wouldn't have made it.

bottom line have a good look at the history and work out what needs doing and calculate what the car is worth VS what it will cost to keep it on the road.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awosme I bought the car on 153k with the enjin in were bad shape.I did 2services in 2years replaced clutch and flywheel plus slave cylinder,new maf,new injector number 3,cleaned egr it was so filthy had to leaf the egr solinoid in petrol over night.cleaned the map sencor and air intake.2new boost pipes from turbo to intercooler and intercooler to intake manifold.last was the two wheel hubs that was replaced.now it's only the vnt solinoid and the pipes and cam belt then I can't see that ther is anything else that can go wrong in a long while.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Awosme I bought the car on 153k with the enjin in were bad shape.I did 2services in 2years replaced clutch and flywheel plus slave cylinder,new maf,new injector number 3,cleaned egr it was so filthy had to leaf the egr solinoid in petrol over night.cleaned the map sencor and air intake.2new boost pipes from turbo to intercooler and intercooler to intake manifold.last was the two wheel hubs that was replaced.now it's only the vnt solinoid and the pipes and cam belt then I can't see that ther is anything else that can go wrong in a long while.
sounds like you are on top of it fella.:thumbup:

do the belt though, be a shame to have done all of that and then have to to replace rockers because of a cam belt failure.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a lovely car ther is no diesel that I know off that puts so much power on the front wheels but as far as alfa goes the people must think twice of saying it badly.

·
Registered
Alfa Mito, 2010, 1.4NA, 6-speed
9,357 Posts
170k kms or miles ... 170k kms should be well inside a diesels life span.

My TS is on nearly 208,000 miles! OK rebuild at 82k (bigend post cam belt failure) and then new head gasket at 203k but just general maintenance in between.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Because with maf unplugged the car goes strong from 1200revs til red line but with new maf genuine bosch part the car is slower then a turtle does the ecu still need to learn the new maf parameters or is a ecu reset nessery.

·
Registered
Alfa Mito, 2010, 1.4NA, 6-speed
9,357 Posts
Because with maf unplugged the car goes strong from 1200revs til red line but with new maf genuine bosch part the car is slower then a turtle does the ecu still need to learn the new maf parameters or is a ecu reset nessery.
It doesn have to relearn but if it is going that slow it isn't just the MAF you have an issue with.

I don't have a diesel, but when I swapped out a partially working maf for a new one the only difference was the ability to rev at higher speeds .. at lower revs it was the same. With the old MAF it wouldn't rev above about 4.5k

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I resolved the problem the maf is perfect it was the egr valve I blanked it off and boom car is reborn no lag revs smooth even the small rattle I had in 4gear is gone.did not expect it to be the egr.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts