Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im back where my car is and the Engines out again , Fingers crossed this will be the last time as its been in and out about 15 - 20 times so far , But i can safely say im a master at engine removal now :biglaugh:

And now the extra engine upgrades start , Beginning with a full strip down and installing another gearbox with a stage 2 clutch and a Quaife LSD.

The list of upgrades is long but will be worth it :thumbup:

Ok tea break over and back to work with me :yes::byebye:

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Im knackered been working hard and all on my own.

Stripped engine and cleaned, removed gearbox replaced with another with new clutch and lsd "Done"

Fitted new cams and cam kit and timed them up " done"

Replaced thermostat and all o rings "done"

Fitted new custom turbo water cooling set up " done"

had one fail ... :depressed: as i was struggling sliding gearbox back on the trolley moved and the engine rolled over and since i had head covers off all the oil decided to leave the engine and make a new home on the floor grrrrr

i also decided to treat the engine to some new stainless cam cover bolts as the old half rusty ones look horrible.

hope weather good again tomorrow so i can get the engine all finished then i can prep the engine bay for a respray :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
M7 x 1.0 @40mm
yeah seems to be a odd size so i got some M8's and re-tapped the threads more effort but it looks better then rusty old ones :biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What a horrible day was like friday the 13th lots went wrong today just minor things besides

1st had a good poke under the car as i bought new taller axle stands found 8 bits of rust rot that was hidden by the last owner under some under seal , so pondering over welding up or a new floor pan but its sortable .

2nd made me mad i have a small vibration metal item cleaner . i put it in the garden so the noise didnt give head ache , after a while i went inside for food when i went back outside the cleaner had burst into flame setting light to my alloys.
tyres have melted i just hope the heat has not buckled the wheels.

pryaing for a good day tomorrow :yes:

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
2nd made me mad i have a small vibration metal item cleaner . i put it in the garden so the noise didnt give head ache , after a while i went inside for food when i went back outside the cleaner had burst into flame setting light to my alloys.
tyres have melted i just hope the heat has not buckled the wheels.
Jesus Christ ! Thats not on, have you contacted the manufacturer ? Would have been worse if it was inside, you could have died.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
yeah seems to be a odd size so i got some M8's and re-tapped the threads more effort but it looks better then rusty old ones :biglaugh:
yeah we located them when we did a group buy of stainless engine bolt sets but not easy to locate.. unless you want to spend £5.00 a bolt on titanium ones

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Since ive fairly much started all over again with upgraded parts like cf2 manifolds ive had to remake things like the turbo bracket.

which is what i did today , I have remade the turbo bracket but this time ive made it so the bracket is not visable so the turbo looks like its floating (besides the exhaust pipes coming from it :yes:

Here are a few photos while painting it, i had to make a new turbo flange as well. Turbo is a big heavy beast ( 20G ) so had to make the bracket strong which it is, Ive used a support bar welded it and held by the bolts and attached it to the piece that bolts on to the gearbox/engine via cutting a groove for it to fit in , welded it then sandwiched it in on all sides with steel and welded it to death :lol:

Welds are strong but a little untidy due to the welder playing up a bit and awkward angles to weld in
Plus a pic of the stage 2 Kevlar clutch :thumbup:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Engines all done (brackets / oil cooling etc etc) ive just got to put it all back together.

Pic of turbo fitted as im putting together. (ignore the mess in back ground i dont have much room :biglaugh:

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts