Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have brought a GTV with a blown engine and have had a second hand engine supplied with it. Before i fit it i want to do the cam belt and clutch. I have been looking around and see that there two different types of clutch that changed in '99. Does anyone know how i can find out the year of my new engine or if i can tell by looking at the old clutch??? Does this also apply to the Cam belt???
Thanks

·
Registered
327 Posts
If your going to do that, get the GTA clutch and flywheel fitted, heard raves about this mod, they are cheaper to replace, makes the clutch force lighter and people say it revs more freely...if i was in your position thats the way id go.

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
I think you'll be the first person to find out.. :D

Hope it goes well though.. :)

Ralf S.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
It was on ebay last week. Is that good or bad????
This was discussed as a project car, the general consensus of opinion was GTVs don't make good project cars as they cost so much in labour and parts, so it would be best to simply buy a working one (sorry, not what you want to hear!)

I'll search out the thread...

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Good luck with it buddy, definitely keep us updated as to how it's going, with plenty of pictures.

There are a lot of guys on here with a lot of mechanical knowledge (unfortunately I'm not one of them) so if you get stuck this is the place to be.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep looks like its the same one. When i got there bodywork needs more doing than i was told but i work in a bodyshop so thats not hard or expensive to sort out. I think i got it cheap in the end, half the price than he was asking for. I have been checking out the new engine and compression looks good, but not sure if there is anything else worth looking at before i spend any money. Suggestions welcome!!!
The guy told me that it needed a flywheel, clutch, cam belt kit and brakes all round. From what i can see the only thing thats needs doing is the belt and clutch. About £350 with trade discount.
Also i think i am going to stick with the DM flywheel, i have been told that the conversion could cause problems with the gearbox. Anyone know if i can change from a 5sp to 6sp box without any probs. If i can find one for sale.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
If you're in the trade then a project GTV can make sense. All are going with non-DM flywheels right now though, but that's only been happening for a year or so so there's no long term feedback regarding how they affect the gearbox.

Good luck, stick some pics up and let us know your progress.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts