Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all
i have just got a 155 ts 8 valve 1993 l reg it had been parked up for at least 4 months i was told it runs but when i try to start it it has no spark i have checked all the fuses i can see and replaced 1 7.5 fuse under the bonett by the battery i have read that the tdc sensor might be the prob but im not sure where it is, is it the thing with 2 wires on top of head near inlet i am in bedford so if anyone no's of some where i can get cheep parts i would be greatfull
please help as this is my first alfa and i want to feel these 143 horses at the mo they are pit ponies.
pete

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Have you ever seen or heard it run?

If so, what noise did it make when it died?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the tdc sensor is down on the front of the crankshaft pulley.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the guy told me he parked it up it was fine but i wonder now if thats true there is no spark so i am wondering where to start first engine is very clean and looks in good working order could it be the ecu ? and how much would i be looking at to buy one

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually the link is www.poweralfa.com. Pretty good site. A pity they do not have any bodykits for the 155 there. But the wheels are nice. Maybe I travel to England this summer... :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Pete
Here's a hint.
On thet bracket(behind battery) there are some relays.
Check them out with an ohm meter or simply chenge them. One of them is responsabil for ignition(?) the othere is for fuel pump.I just fix this second one (WRINX helped me to find it)
Simpli it was a bed contact.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks i will give that a try i am going to golders green to get some spares i will make sure there on my list
can you tell me when i turn ignition on there is no sound should the fule pump kick in for a few seconds ? thanks again
pete

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
some fuel pumps only prime when engine is turning over.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Assuming it WAS working when it was parked, I'd check the obvious.

Bung some fresh petrol in the tank, dry out all the electrical connectors (especially coil and ignition) and check that the injectors and coil have a live feed to them.

Then try starting it using the biggest battery you can connect to the ***** and see if the injectors and sparks are doing their thing. As my bro' would say, "you can ignite anything if the spark is big enough".

A duff TDC sensor could disable both the ignition and injection, even if the coil and injector live feeds are okay but this is a longer shot - it WAS running after all.

More likely to be cobwebs in the system...

Ralf S.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
My 8v fuel pump primes with the ignition on. You can actually hear it from the front seats but if you put your head in the boot and ask someone to switch on the ignition then you should easily hear it.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hi all
this so far i have live going to pump there are 2 conecters on it both have live to them but pump dont prime even when turning over.
there are 4 relays by the battary in a L shape starting with the one nearist the engine has no live the next one dose have live the 3rd one nearist the battry has live the last one dose not.
hope this means something to you and you can help i realy want to get this car going my insurance runs out in 6 weeks and i want my alfa
thanks to all so far
pete

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i will be going to get some parts at the weekend for some second hand parts the bloke i spoke to said he has a 164 supper with same 8 valve engine and i could borrow ecu and any parts i want do thay fit my car i will buy a new tdc sensor if i need one thanks again
pete

·
Registered
18 Posts
Pete, forget relays!!!
If you don’t hear the pump as working so probably he isn’t .
So take out he’s connector (you’ll find it below a “black” plastic cover in “luggage” compartment near back seet)
Then look for two wires long enough from battery till back .Connect them first on battery then (take care for short circuit) just try to put on pump free connectors He should work, and you should hear. If not you have to take out the pump and probably look for replacement.
Take care!!! don’t put the wires on fuel level meter. This is also there

1 - 14 of 14 Posts