Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, engine wont start, just fires once - thats it, spark plugs are dry, got spark ( checked ). hmmmm

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Are you getting fuel through? Could be the fuel cut off. What were you doing before it wouldnt start, was the car sitting cold or had it been running?

I had something similar on my V6 when the MAF failed. It would fire and try to run and then cut out, after that it wouldnt start but felt like it was trying to.

Not sure that the 1.6 reacts the same way to the V6 in relation to the MAF.

Also could be the crank position sensor but this normally affects the car when hot.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, i drove home on wednesday. parked up. this morning took the drivers side front wheel off, took alternator belt off, took cambelt cover off ( to see if cambelt is any good), put alternator belt back on, tried to start, but dashboard lights not on, battery completely flat. replaced battery tried to start and fires once or twice and nothing. sparkplugs dry. spark ok. so must be a fuel. how to check if fuel pump is working?

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
There is a fuel cut off button under the passenger seat, at least i think its on the passenger side on RHD car so might be this.

I think the top of the fuel pump can be seen from inside the boot, next to back of rear seats - I guess if its working you should be able to hear it running when ignition is on

Did you move any of the wiring on the alternator?

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just took off fuel pipe that feeds injectors ( pipe that comes from the back of car ) and fuel is coming out. tried fuel cutoff button, no luck.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Weird.....

does the yellow key symbol between the instruments come on (key code immobiliser) or the red injector light?

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
CPS sends a signal to the ECU for timed ignition, and to the fuel injectors, Dunnit'? :rolleyes: Could be that old favourite, although you have a spark up, still?:):

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
The crank position sensor is very temperamental but I think it tends to be a problem once the engine is warm - at least it was with my 2.0TS.

You could try disconnecting the battery for 1/2hr and try again - maybe engine ECU needs reset - worth a try at least

·
Registered
38,271 Posts
Crank sensors can cause cold starting problems too. If the signal from the sensor is very weak the ECU may not pick it up.

Usually its a problem when hot, but it doesn't always happen like that as I found out.

Obviously when the sensor fails or the signal becomes weak the ECU won't fire the injectors. Hence no fuel.

Also the relays next to the battery may be worth a check.

·
Registered
38,271 Posts
In that case I would put money on it being the crank sensor.

One way of checking it is to unplug the connector and check the resistance between the 2 pins. The connector is located on the back of the inlet manifold sort of in the middle and is brown.

The resistance should be under 1000 ohms, much more than that and it is goosed.

It is still possible to get a good reading from a knackered sensor though, but if you get a high reading it is certainly knackered.

Changing it isn't too difficult. The sensor is screwed into the engine block by an M6 allen head bolt, just below the starter motor. The easiest way to change it is to remove the throttle body and get at it from the top. You can follow the wire down from the top to find its location.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Disconnect a fuel injector multi plug and see if a pluse is produced through a test lamp (any low current 12volt bulb will do). No pulse/flashing= injectors not opening which as already mentioned is most likely to be the CPS.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
will have to try bulb trick, sounds easier than getting cps out. Does any one knows is there a workshop manual for alfas? i used to had one for all cars up to date on a cd, but i've lost it. it had everything in it. fault code how to's, wiring diagrams and everything you need if you own a garage. even repair times. just i cant remember were i got it from.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
and dont know if this is relevant, but car is parked up on slope, nose down. not much fuel in ( 5 ltr ). :rolleyes:

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
brown plug was 850 ohms, injector were showing abou 8 volts constant. what are those 2 white metal pipes coming from underneath the car? fuel pipes? one goes in to inectors, the other goes somewere inside drivers side wing and one comes out, the one from wing goes in to engine under throttle body? when turning ignition key on, from which one shoud petrol come out???

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Not a clue really mate, but could hazard a guess?:D By, that motor is as bright and shiny as the 147's that we have just solld.:inlove: Well done for that professional approach;) :):

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Too many 1s,

1 left, evaporater line.

2, tank vacuum.

1 right, Fuel line.

3, Brake servo vacuum.

My monies on: Out of fuel, the crank sensor or the fuel pump relay in front of the battery, is it priming when you turn the key?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts