Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning when i started the car it started up but immediately cut out,i started it again and the same thing happened, engine won,t idle, after much revving and more cutting out, i got moving, the car drives find but every time i stop at lights the revs just drop to zero and the engine stops,any idea,s what the problem is?

·
Registered
683 Posts
I had a problem with mine not idling. It turned out to be the idle control valve, it sits ontop of the throttle body. It had got stuck where my car has been sitting for a while. I took it off, drilled out the brass sleeve and then I could take it apart. I just stripped it down and cleaned it up, lubricated it and put it back. Seems fine now.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Try tapping the idle valve here with a spanner, worked for me!!

Also check the air inlet pipe for splits.

·
Registered
19 Posts
you beat me too it mitch,
I had exactly the same problem about a month ago. I gave it a tap with a spanner and job done.....I also did the resinator box removal and put in a straight piece of pipe, the car seems to idle alot smoother now and ive had no more problems.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Try tapping the idle valve here with a spanner, worked for me!!

Thanks for the tip and the photo Mitch166.

I was having this problem with my car - ever since it emerged from under a pile of snow a week ago. One tap and it runs a dream again. I'll have to take the valve apart and clean it out properly once the weather improves, but job done for now.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would suggest you start by disconnecting the MAF and see how it idles.
Disconnected the MAF but no joy then took off the idle control valve cleaned and lubricated it but still on joy, car still won,t idea, mechanically the idle control valve seems to be working, are electrical faults common in these parts?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have been having the same problem intermittently

I think that mine was caused by a split hose on the air feed the flexy one, before the throttle body.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Yeh if you have a pre 99 Gtv alloy top engine they ate a common fault, it's fairly easy to remove to clean up, the one I had off was all grimed up,

sorry about the same answer but just wanted to say about removing it

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just a quick update, still having problems, or one problem to be exact, i had the car on diagnostics it showed idle control valve so replaced that, after that the car idled fine when hot but on cold start would still cut out if not revved, after a few mins when the engine warmed up it would tick over fine so i decided to change the temp senor, still no joy, car drives fine, ticks over fine when warmed up but not at start up or when engine is still cold, would the cold air senor be at fault or is there any point to trying a ecu reset?

G

·
Whenever you replace a faulty component like this, I understand that ideally you need to do an ECU reset as the ECU 'remembers' the fault and tries to compensate for it.

·
Registered
379 Posts
squirt a bucket load of carb cleaner into the carb and up the inlet valve hole then try again,also an ecu reset will help,,there are threads on here to do both if your not sure how.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
squirt a bucket load of carb cleaner into the carb and up the inlet valve hole then try again,also an ecu reset will help,,there are threads on here to do both if your not sure how.
It hasn't got a carb. I take it you mean the butterfly valve?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts