Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after many nights of toil I have completed the full service, cambelt and general spruce up of the spider. It will be off for MOT this week. Trouble is its got a whine from the belts like they are running too tight. Cambelt tensioner pointer is on the mark. Waterpump changed.tensioner changed. Idler changed. balance belt changed with tensioner and seals. can do just over 90 degree twist on the balance belt and the pointer is on the mark. So what is whining. And whining quite loudly too. Is it all just settling in or have i missed a trick here??:confused: i haven't changed any of the aux belt stuff but it wasn't making any nosie anyway.

·
Registered
8,916 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know they whine a bit but my 220,000 mine 155 t-spark doesn't whine as much as this. Is like having an electric motor attacjed to it! LOL Its due for an aux belt soon so i'll do those tensioners and see if it makes a difference!

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
Could the improved tension be making the alternator whine now?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Mine whined just after a cambelt change, turned out the power steering pipes had split, meaning the power steering pump was not happy, as the resovoir was empty. Not sure if the garage knocked the pipes during the cambelt change, i was just thankful that it was a cheap fix !

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The alternator is not on the cambelt and the aux belt hasn't been changed. Seems to be quieting down a bit now but the aux belt and tensioners will be done next month as well as purchasing the couple of bits of trim that are missing from the spider itself

·
Registered
7,723 Posts
Joss, my car has the exact same problem as yours at mo! Infact as i type its up being seen too. If it increases, decreases with engine speed like mine, it could be Power Steering pump easily detected and repaired. If its at the back of the engine it will probably be Alt and this is a bugger to replace. My whine is coming from belts area and i currently suspect its the Aux belt tensioner(Very Common Cause). There appears to be alot with this same problem at mo on the TS. Approx £34 for new tensioner is what im hoping? I will find out later this afternoon. So! i would say your suspicion is correct in that its probably coming from Aux belt and its tensioner or the Alt at back of engine or PS pump at front!?
PS: easy way to diagnose is to remove Aux belt and run engine, if the whine disappears then you know you have identified the general problem area! If its still present then it will probably be the cam or balance belt and one of its idlers adjusters.

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
When setting the tension on the cam and balance belt did you use the correct method, that is for the cam belt tension set to maximum, turn engine over twice in the normal direction by hand and then set using the markers provided on the tensioners themselves?

S

·
0 Posts
I had the whine recently so had the 156 checked over my trusted indie. They changed the Aux pulley and Idle tensioner? now the whine has gone. Good times

·
Registered
7,723 Posts
Mine turned out to be the awkward one! the Idler. The best description that i have heard someone use is if your car sounds like a milk float then its most likely the idler.

S

·
0 Posts
Mine turned out to be the awkward one! the Idler. The best description that i have heard someone use is if your car sounds like a milk float then its most likely the idler.
That's exactly how mine sounded:thumbs:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts