Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 156 JTD M-Jet 1.9 16v

Wonder what is causing this, should I be alarmed, and whats the fix.

Changed the thermostat - all very straight forward ( done the job before so familiar ).

While the top was off I took out the MAP sensor ( which had soot on it ) and cleaned it - with a little WD40 and clean rag.

As soon as I started up the info console illuminated to tell me " Oil Sensor Fault - see dealer ".

So whats up - is it the MAP sensor? If so can I sort it out ( clean it again? ). What does a replacement cost?

Also how can I reset my info center once I've fix it ( On my motorcycle my malfunction light will reset itself after 3 hot-to-cold cycles, if the problem has been sorted )

All input gratefully received :)

L

·
0 Posts
the map sensor is on the air intake pipe, yes? its well away form any oil sensors, have you check the engine for oil level? perhaps when you were at the stat you distubed the oil sensor?

whe working on engines where possible I would always do one job & then start the engine to make sure all way ok, then do the 2nd & 3rd job, starting in between each job. You did 2 jobs so you don't know which area of work has caused this issue.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point which i will take heed of in the future.....where is the oil sensor? Maybe I disturbed it while doing the
thermostat?

Just re-read you post. I think your thinking of the MAF sensor ( which is on the air intake pipe ) - I cleaned the MAP sensor, which is on the inlet manifold.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes ... oil level totally fine. However the warning message has now gone!! Joss suggested it was just a glitch from having removed the battery as part of the thermostat change job. Seems fine now.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
My first useful post in over 11,000 :lol:

·
Registered
41 Posts
This is currently occuring to me too, basically if I turn the key to ignition and I get the error, I simply turn off the car and then back on and the error magically goes away... Generally the error comes up during wet weather, it never really comes up during dry weather for me...

My indy told me that the oil level sensor is situated in the sump, I have not found any form of replacement or any topics yet here so have you got any ideas where to direct me please?

Cheers.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The problem seems to have sorted itself - I have read that they can be a bit iffy regarding error codes when the battery is disconnected ( which I had to do to change the thermostat ) - or if the battery is on it's way out.

I had my battery and the charging checked FOC at Kwikfit - and they were both fine. It hasn't come back so I have put it down as a glitch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts