Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just joined the sight as there seems to be a lot of useful stuff about working with Alfas. I live in Botswana, and brought my Alfa down here from the UK. All good until I realised the nearest dealer is in Johannesburg, 4 hours away!!! I have a 159 JTDM 2007 automatic.

I had an oil change warning so took it to a good mechanic I know here, a British guy who works on BMW, Mercedes, Rolls Royce, Ferrari, Audi, Porsche etc and he changed oil and filter (brought filter with me from the UK).

However, this hasn't cleared the warning and it appears there is no 'manual' reset like there is on 156s and BMWs etc, so my first issue is I need to clear that.

Also, I have a 'check engine' warning which I think is the dreaded and often discussed lack of power/EGR/DPF/regen issue. I have tried a blast down the road in 4th gear at 2000-2500 rpm and noticed after a while it shuddered and seemed like it could be doing the regen but still the light is on. When pulling off from still at roundabouts, lights or junctions it can be extremely tough to get going. Having read a lot of threads I think it's the EGR valve and I'm going to try the clean up method tonight. Will let you know if that helps.

For me to be able to check the diagnostics, or at least clear the warning lights can anyone recommend some plug in cable and software? I;ve looked at the Auteltech site and also downloaded Fiat ECU Scan, which is best and is there a cable I can buy that plugs from laptop USB into car diagnostics plug?

Hope someone can help!!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
fes works well. Go onto the forum on the fes website where there is a long dicussion thread about elm usb leads. I got one cheap from ebay, made the mod covered on the forum (snap off a resistor) and now can perform all the service resets etc with a licensed version of fes. the free version lets you clear the error codes but not do an oil/ service reset or a forced dpf regen for example - which yours needs by the sound of it. I think its worth buying.

·
Registered
30,084 Posts
Yep, as above, FiatECUScan and an ELM cable would be a wise investment as you are 4-hours from the nearest Alfa garage!

·
Registered
282 Posts
my 159 has had the change oil light on for the last few 100miles, ive just got around to changing the oil today with the filter, job is all done and the first fire up of the car brought up the change oil light again, but the second time i started her, the car has cleared the light its self.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the warning lights reset by a pal with Bosch scanner... but it flagged the engine issue as cylinder 6 fault? I've removed and cleaned the EGR, as I suspected that, all running ok, not great, but ok... then yesterday a horrible death rattle and wobble, warning message that oil pressure low and engine cut out altogether... Hope my ELM cable arrives soon!!!

Any ideas anyone?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi all, forget the last post, I got it sorted... Link for the drivers was on FiatECUScan site. Bought the full version and cleared the faults, and engine oil reset!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Aaah, the saga continues. It will not do a forced regen... Gets to 2000 then 3500 rpm but then drops back down. Says it's a sensor pressure error... Anyone?!?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Aha

Cracked it... There's a hose that goes down from the differential pressure sensor that runs right by the exhaust before the centre box. The exhaust, the hose is rubber... See the pic!

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cracked it... There's a hose that goes down from the differential pressure sensor that runs right by the exhaust before the centre box. The exhaust, the hose is rubber... See the pic!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts