Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

My alfa 1.7ts 1994 150.000km has the following problem: when the engine runs high revs +4000 for approximately 15 minutes the engine wants to stop, the problem is solved when the car is stopped and run idle for a couple of second then run again without problems for approximately 15 minutes. The dealer checked the electronics but these seems to be ok, my idea is some kind of fuel problems :(
Has anyone had these kinds of problems?

Regards

Rene

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I would guess a blocked fuel filter. Or it could be a faulty fuel pump.
Does it do it at ant engine temp, or only when cold or hot ???

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
If it splutters first, its usually fuel, but if it just plain dies, it's likely electrics. I might suspect something cheap first, like a relay!
Keep a log of conditions, this will help!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Oh yes. Remember Marlon's suggestion of a fuel pump. This is fairly likely, and could save a lot of aggro later. I've seen the pumps go faulty before, and intermittently 'stall' until the power supply is cut, and then restored.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
marlon said:
I only drive these high revs when the engine is hot so i don't know if the problem occurs with a cold engine.

But thanks for the replay

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ally said:
If it splutters first, its usually fuel, but if it just plain dies, it's likely electrics. I might suspect something cheap first, like a relay!
Keep a log of conditions, this will help!
The engine stays on and has never dies during this problems, a couple of seconds low revs are enough to solve the problem up to now!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
marlon said:
I only drive these high revs when the engine is hot so i don't know if the problem occurs with a cold engine.

But thanks for the replay

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rene said:
The engine stays on and has never dies during this problems, a couple of seconds low revs are enough to solve the problem up to now!
Had some problems on a friend's car. Nobody NEVER EVER found out what the problem was. Well at last, after changing, both fuelpumps, fuelpipes and filter, I took out the fueltank... What did I see? A freaking small bolt, that came into the pipe wich made the car stop. When we waited a little while the vacuum wasn't that big the bolt falled out into the tank again, and no problem.. Just a nice story, eh? :p
Just a thought if everything else fails... Wich I don't believe. Bet it's the pump...

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lille-Twinny said:
Had some problems on a friend's car. Nobody NEVER EVER found out what the problem was. Well at last, after changing, both fuelpumps, fuelpipes and filter, I took out the fueltank... What did I see? A freaking small bolt, that came into the pipe wich made the car stop. When we waited a little while the vacuum wasn't that big the bolt falled out into the tank again, and no problem.. Just a nice story, eh? :p
Just a thought if everything else fails... Wich I don't believe. Bet it's the pump...
Thanks for the reaction,

First I am going to change the fuel filter and if that would not solve the problem I'am going to remove the fuel tank,
according an other member there is also a possibility that there is dirt in the tank.

Regards

Rene

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
nut in the tank is interesting, i remember an old trick where you would put a peice of see through ciggarett wrapper in the tank of someone you dont like and hey presto car would run for a while and then cut out.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Rene, while your at it, check for signs of water around the pick-up in the tank. That one's a favourite. (BTW, water collects at the bottom in a petrol tank.)

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi all,
I thought you would know about the methylated spirits thing. A little meths in the tank ( for memory about 1 cup for 1/2 a tank of fuel.) The meths mixes with the water and burns off!! Easy!! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts